Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing my exhaust cam recently because the #1 cylinder lobe was galled, I simply aligned the vernier gear with the key, placed the other half of the vernier and gear onto the camshaft, and placed the vernier nut and bolt into the first hole it completely lined up with. Is there any type of mark on the vernier I should have lined up with? I did have to move both cams to line-up the marks with the caps while the engine was at TDC.

Thanks,

Duke

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

The timing chain was tensioned first. The car seems to be running fine. The Alfa technical manual calls the two parts the flange and drive gear. In section 6-1.5b, the manual not to install the bolt and nut at this time, and I couldn't find a section where it says to install the bolt and nut.

Thanks for the information!

Duke

·
Administrator
17,256 Posts
-
The instructions telling you to install the locknut is a few pages later.

When I am installing the cam shaft I tighten the main nut (item # 2) but I don't bend the lock tab or install the locating nut & bolt until I have turned the engine over (manually, spark plugs out) a few revolutions. That makes sure the timing is spot on and all slack in the timing chain is taken up in the 'forwards' direction.

-

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric,

Okay, I found the section you reference and am in process of checking. I did turn the engine a couple times to make sure the cam timing marks did not change. If the flange and drive gear were moved then the timing marks would not line-up, correct?

Thanks,

Duke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts