Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Cam Turning Tool

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  tom shewchuk 
#1 ·
I've just started the re-assembly of the engine for my '73 GTV. (11.3 intake cam, 10.3 exhaust cam, 10.2 CP pistons, performance overhaul of my SPICA pump by Wes, 12-lb aluminum flywheel.)

Soon it will be time to put the head on and adjust the cam timing. I just got off the phone with IAP. Their cam turning tool is out of stock and they don't expect more stock in the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know if the Lisle universal cam tool, 38200, will fit Alfa cams?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
+1

Used it on my rebuild last year.

Can be seen on the far right.
Metalworking hand tool Tool

Good Luck,

Vin

#4 ·
pin wrench

Back when I new nothing, I bent an 18-20 inch long 5mm/3/16 inch rod at an acute angle fitting the ends at the approximate location of the cam sprocket holes. I bent the ends 90 degrees, and used the tool for many years. I now have an USAG 281/160, but it doesn't work any better.

Best,

Barry

#10 ·
I have found that a 22mm open-end wrench works just fine if you knock back the locking tabs on the cam sprocket locking bolts. The one drawback is that you need to be careful if you're trying to turn the cams counter-clockwise with the cam chain engaged: the nuts can loosen if you're not careful. If they do, just retighten them.
Also - make sure you knock the tabs back into their locking position when you're done.
A little Locktite here is probably not a bad idea in any case.

#11 ·
.... you need to be careful if you're trying to turn the cams counter-clockwise with the cam chain engaged
I wouldn't turn the engine in either direction by applying torque to a cam with the chain engaged. The 2:1 ratio between the crankshaft and cams means that it will take twice the torque to spin the crankshaft/pistons from the cams as it would from the crankshaft.

My advice is to de-couple the cams from the chain whenever you need to rotate the cams. Remove the vernier bolt, loosen that 22mm nut, and rotate the cam using a pin wrench or equivalent. Or if you need to rotate the whole engine, apply torque at the crankshaft.

#12 ·
Keep scrolling down the page (AMF Tools Catalog Page) and you'll find

Pin Wrench, adjustable, blued, with welded pins
Perfect for turning cams!! Anyone know which size? $18 to $45 You can't go wrong!
OOOO!!! Look at These!! I use the Harbor Freight pin nut tool, but the pin wrench on the bottom does look like it would be easier to use because it wouldn't need to be readjusted. But then how often would I use it? But being an Alfa guy I'm probably gonna buy one anyways.:wink2: Yes you know you want more precious. Yesss

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.