Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used the cam timing template on this site to check my 91 S. What a great resource and thanks to the BB and the folks who put that together.

I have a comment and a question. My comment is that I had trouble getting the template to print out at full size until I reset the PDF print screen to set "page scaling" to "none." I hope this helps someone down the line.

My question is whether my timing has slipped or whether it is OK. The front cam is bang on the timing mark. The rear cam is off by two hash marks on the template. Here is a picture of the rear cam:

IMG_3794.jpg

It seems like I am out by less than one tooth on the cam belt. Do I have to reset the timing here or am I within acceptable tolerances?

Thanks
Rex in Albany

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
I used the cam timing template on this site to check my 91 S. What a great resource and thanks to the BB and the folks who put that together.

I have a comment and a question. My comment is that I had trouble getting the template to print out at full size until I reset the PDF print screen to set "page scaling" to "none." I hope this helps someone down the line.

My question is whether my timing has slipped or whether it is OK. The front cam is bang on the timing mark. The rear cam is off by two hash marks on the template. Here is a picture of the rear cam:

View attachment 74047

It seems like I am out by less than one tooth on the cam belt. Do I have to reset the timing here or am I within acceptable tolerances?

Thanks
Rex in Albany
This may be stupid but pull the paper taut! I ended up putting mine on a piece of cardboard to keep it straight. I bet if you pull the paper on both sides it will line up. If not it is not that badly off. From the picture though the paper looks like it is not taut! Also try to pull it out to, so it sits right on the edge.
Try that and see what you get!
Jason

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its printed on heavy card stock, not paper. I did push it back a bit for the photo, so that the timing line on the cam pulley would be clear in the photo.

But its definitely off by more than one but perhaps slightly less than two hash marks even when both sides are set to the very front of the cam pulley.

Thanks for the quick response. I will check it again to be sure.

Rex

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Its printed on heavy card stock, not paper. I did push it back a bit for the photo, so that the timing line on the cam pulley would be clear in the photo.

But its definitely off by more than one but perhaps slightly less than two hash marks even when both sides are set to the very front of the cam pulley.

Thanks for the quick response. I will check it again to be sure.

Rex
Now that I look at it it is card stock. Just the camera lens too close making it look like it is bending.
Check it again. Then adjust it as you probably have figured out;)

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
If front one spot on I doubt as you say you can get any closer than you are showing on rear cam.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked it again. I found that there was a bend in the template because I still have the front belt cover on. When I pushed that back and pulled the template flat, I am just about exactly one click off of where I should be.

Since this is less than the 1.5 to 2 clicks that Steve and Jason view as OK, I guess this is not the source of my rough idle problem. That is good news.

Rex in Albany

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I forgot my manners. Thank you to both Jason and Steve for your prompt responses.

Rex

·
Registered
400 Posts
ISTR that the spec is actually 70 degrees, and that the reference marks highlighted were just those from the motor that the author used to create it. So yours looks is spot-on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts