Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not going to be using the VVT on my intake cam so I got a normal cam gear. It came with a castellated nut and a bolt with a hole .

The twin spark exhaust has an all metal lock nut .Like this one.
Alfa cam gear.jpg
Photo from MeV Engineering and Performance

Any advise on which is better. The bolt in the photo was used after the other type failed :eek:
It broke at the hole .

Would a high grade bolt and a nylock work ?

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Most Alfa Mechanics prefer the bolt with the hole. Here is why. This bolt is hardened. It is designed to JUST locate the vernier hole adjustment. It it NOT designed to hold the vernier plates together, or to absorb cam loading if the nut on the end of the cam is LOOSE.
Once cam timing is adjusted, the bolt is installed, the nut installed and tightened just enough to line up the cotter-pin hole with the castle notches on the nut. Then the nut on the cam end is tightened, using the proper pin wrench (NOT those vice grips!), and the lock tab bent over. The vernier bolt just helps maintain the vernier plate relationship while the cam nut is tightened. This bolt is just to help resist rotation of one plate against the other, NOT to bolt them together. The cam nut, correctly tightened, will hold the plates together.
A regular hard bolt and nylock nut will work, but the COTTER-PIN tells you the timing IS set.
Just my opinion from my experience.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
For a little "I've done this, don't repeat my mistake" advice, put a big magnet under the cam while playing with this. The castle nut and especially the cotter pin WILL eventually fall into your engine, and the magnet will catch them.

Same for the timing chain connecting link.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Lots of clean shop towels stuffed down there have worked for me for 45+ years. I save the magnet comes when I fish the bits from the towel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts