Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.7 8V has just started leaking from the LHS cam seal. How hard is it to change the seal with the engine in place?. Or would it be better to drop the engine out to do it, bearing in mind that the cambelts are due for replacement in about 10k. So I'll replace everthing at the same time.
Also I'd like to do the valve shims, what are they like to do?. I've never adjusted by shim before, could be a challenge.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replacing camshaft seals

Hi there,

I have done the seal replacement in my 1.7 8v , and it is possible, but rather awkward, and a bit easy to foul the job up. Getting the new seal tapped in evenly with limited access was the main challenge. Getting the old one out was relatively simple, but just be careful not to gouge the housing getting the old one out.

As for the shims, if your motor is a 1.7, most of those in NZ are hydraulic head, and have hydraulic tappets. (i.e. self adjusting) although a few early models did arrive with shimmed heads.

If it is a shimmed version its a matter of getting the correct thickness shims to maintain the valve clearance.

If you are doing the belts, give thought to replacing the cam tensioning pulleys as well. If the bearing goes, so does the belt/valves etc etc...
You can but the pulleys on their own and press them onto the old arms, (cheapest) or get complete fittings.

Very best of luck,

David F

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
John, it isn`t too hard to do cam seals in situ. Radiator & grille come out, undo rear g/box mount and front engine mount-lift engine up at front a little-watch leads, distrib etc at rear-only needs a little elevation to make easier, then remove cam covers, belts and cam wheels (set up at TDC before taking belts off- also mark with white idelible pen on cam wheel and head for easy reference). You can then extract the seals. Just get new seals square and lightly tap around to get them in square The first few taps are the hardest then once halfway in they are trapped square but just take your time. I always put a little blue Hylomar around the outer circum and some Amsoil synthetic grease on the centre .

Richard J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts