Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspecting my 164's engine last night, I notice a good deal of oil working through the joins in the cambelt covers. The insides of the cam pulleys are oily/dirty. I imagine this means I would be wise to change both the cam seals (and O-rings inside pulley hubs, so I read here).

We have a shop named Seal Imports that sells oil seals in most sizes. So my question is, are the cam seals a fairly 'standard' size? (metric/metric) Obviously I don't want to buy a complete head gasket set just to get them. I know that certain seals on other Italian cars have been odd imperial/metric sizes, completely unobtainable apart from a special order (months). Really I want them within a week as that's the only time I have available for the job.

I have myself a rebuild kit for the hydraulic tensioner (bought in Australia), even though I don't even know whether I have the hydraulic tensioner or not - haven't had time to get the wheel/arch liner off yet to have a look :rolleyes:

At least my foglight guess turned out well - while in Australia, I bought a second-hand foglight (very good crack-free condition) because I *thought* my RH foglight had a crack - I remember seeing evidence of water inside. Well, the happy news is that it doesn't just have a crack - it has a large (~2cm) hole in the curved-over top of the lens :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To reply to my own question, this thread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=37068
has a picture of what I'm looking for - just was interested to know if 'standard' size. Looks like I might have to wreck a few pullers as well - hope there's room for this with engine in the car?

I like that thread, particularly about the advanced cam timing "being ready for a run at Salt Flats for top end" (to quote Alfisto Steve), it forms an interesting mental image of someone taking a 164 to Bonneville. I'd love to see the speedometer more than halfway around the dial.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to see this for more info: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=15049&highlight=cam+hub+puller

Also see Oz site www.alfapro.com for how they made puller for rear cam

2 Cam hub orings AR # 60507327
3 Cam/Aux pulley shaft seals 60610985 SIZE 32x47x10 mm.
Thank you for that great information!
I'll see if I can obtain the seals first, as my guess is that they've gone hard.

Looks like it will take most of the week to do this job - making up a 'torque reactor' to hold the pulley, modifying a harmonic balancer puller, etc. I wonder why the cam pulleys couldn't just have been keyed in place as they were on the FIAT engines (no O-ring necessary). Anyway. It will be a good excuse to clean/paint the cam covers while they're off (to check the timing), and I'll check the valve clearances.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
wonder why the cam pulleys couldn't just have been keyed in place as they were on the FIAT engines (no O-ring necessary).
-Alex
Because on Fiat the valve shims on top of tappet and on Alfa they are under tappet. You can change shims on Fiat engine without pulling cam but on Alfa you have to pull cam so with multipiece cam pulley/hub design you can pull cam without messing with timing belt.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
G'Day Alex,
32 x 47 x 10 according to the pair I just bought.

"O" rings are a bit of a guess but it looks like 31mm ID x 2mm.
Thanks for that Craig! Even if Alfisto Steve beat you to the size (see above!)

To my dismay, I noticed today that the 'Seal Imports' building here in Hamilton is partly-demolished :( - a lot seems to happen when I'm away for three weeks! - but the good news is that Repco reckon they can supply oil seals by size, so I think this is the way to go - save money but still do the job properly.

The 'shims under the buckets' sounds like Jaguar inline-6 engines... must be an amazing fiddle to adjust, you'd think that taking the cambelt off would be the easy part! I think I'll settle for a check within 0.30 clearance on the inlets, and set the exhaust clearances to what they're supposed to be (which from memory was quite tight, 0.20-0.25 I think).

I still can't quite convince myself of what the O-ring seals against. Obviously it does seal something, but it looks like the hub seals against the oil seal pressed into the head, and oil wouldn't leak through the taper fit onto the end of the cam... I guess I must be missing something.

I'm off to try and buy some plumbing flanges tomorrow, so I can make a puller to get the hubs off. Might be easier to find a small harmonic balancer puller - I'd never seen a plumbing flange before Alfisto Steve's post. :eek:

Then you can expect me to be quiet for several days while I figure out how it all goes ;)

Cheers,
-Alex

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
The oring seals between keyed hub that fits cam end taper and hub that gear bolts to which is sealed by oil shaft seal. You must have both seals. If oring leaks oil runs down front of cam gear if oil seal leaks oil runs down back of gear.

Once you pop front keyed hub off you will see hardened oring on inside of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts