Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a Timing belt on one of my 12v 164's and found the cam hubs did not match. The front has the 2 piece hub with a cam seal and the rear had a one piece hub with no cam seal. Has anyone seen this before?

Is there an advantage to the 2 piece hub? Other than the pleasure of leaking cam seals?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured it out. It seems later hubs were 1 piece with no seal. I wonder why they had the 2 piece in the first place though. Also odd is that I have one of each on the engine.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
The advantage of original three piece hub set up is you can keep the timing belt pulleys and belt in place if you need to pull cam out to change it or adjust intake valve shims.

Also if three piece set up in rear head it is easier to get apart and out of the head in a 164 to get clearance to remove rear head or even cam hub oil seal in head. Granted the oring leaking in front split head is a downer.

I had a later engine with two piece hubs and gave my friend rear head years ago so he has a car with one of each and ai guess I have that spare engine now with one of each style, too. Playing musical parts can cause that to happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts