Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having heard that Alfa is no longer making the cam pulley spanner ; (and given there are two types, one for a six hole pulley and one for an 8 hole pulley) I found this little gem on Amazon for about 45 bucks! My alfa tool is for 6 hole sprocket and I wanted one for 8 hole sprocket as well. I thought about just fabricating one, but heck for 45 bucks and no hassle-- why not try this one!

UNIVERSAL CAMSHAFT PULLEY HOLDING TOOL #96800

I emailed the mfgr (schley products) and asked about the dimenisions --
center to center on pins- 3.0 inches, pin diameter 0.50", pin length 1.375".
Original Alfa tool - center to center 3.05", pin diameter 0.75", pin length 1.375"
I ordered one and it arrived yesterday -- well made, heavy, and it will also work on the Toyota truck -- I think it will work just fine on the 8 pulley alfa 24V, if you need a pulley holder wrench and can't buy or borrow one !

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think thats the one

That is suited for the 6-hole 24V pulley arrangement (94's) but not for the 8 hole pulley arrangement. WOuld be useful to know the diameters and center distances of the pins (on the original alfa tools, the 6 hole spanner has semicircular pins (like the totally alfa photo shows) and the 8 hole spanner has full round pins. There is a small enough difference in the pin diameters and spacing such that the 6 hole pulley spanner will NOT fit the 8 hole pulley! I believe that an 8 hole pulley spanner will, in fact, fit a 6 hole pulley though, but it will be a little bit loose (which is of no matter since there are 2 pins to hold the pulley tight)
Yes, after review, it says that tool is equivalent to alfa 1820-272 (6 hole pulley spanner). The spanner for 8 hole pully is 1822-146 alfa number! And here it is
http://www.totallyalfa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.dspProduct&id=15
for a mere 13 pounds sterling!!!
Confused enough yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts