Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the cam cover on a 60 giulietta spider be left in raw aluminum?
Mine was painted with a black finish, but I think they stopped that after the 750 cars?
Anybody know how they came from the factory?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm fairly sure that black was not used for 101s in 1960. Mine had remains of a gold hammerite (ish) paint which I thought that a PO had applied. Comments here and on the 750-101 BB suggest that some cam covers may have this finish applied either at the factory or by dealers.

Simon

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
My 1960 101 (non-transitional) Veloce had bare aluminum, when I bought it in 1962-3.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My 58, titled as a 59, has the same black crinkle paint on it as purchased in 62. I prefer the black paint.

·
Administrator
4,035 Posts
Hi Felix

From research it would appear that some of the 750 Spiders had crackle black cam covers, while others were plain. the '60 Spiders seem to have predominantly been plain aluminium and the '62 onwards Giulia's in the US seemed to get a silver hammerite which after a period in a hot 'n oily engine bay, turned a murky bronze colour.

Hoffman in the US added some personal embelishments to some of the US sold car, like chrome cam nuts and chrome wheels & many owners added a personal touch over the years.

Either way, while it's perhaps not strictly original, it's also not strictly 'incorrect'. It's entirely your choice, I like the crackle black, but its a PITA to keep clean.

Ciao
Greig
'57 Sprints (column shift & floor shift)
'57 Spider
'60 Spiders
'60 Sprint
'61 Sprint
Some 105's
Some others

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I like the crackle black, but its a PITA to keep clean.

Ciao
Greig
Also, black cam covers look better in a red or light colors engine bay, better than a black car. Black on black, way to much black.The top end of a Alfa engine is beautiful and stands out better in a dark car with a light color cover.

George

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts