Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 years of being without an Alfa I'm back with a '74 Spider. After 2 months of work it's running pretty good.
The cam cover has a small crack just below one of the center hold-down bolts. The previous owner tried fixing it with some kind of goop but it still leaks. I was thinking of trying West System Epoxy but I doubt it would hold up to the heat.
Should I be looking for another cover (anyone got one?) or can this be fixed?
Good to be back.

Kent

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
some epoxyes are good for heat up to 200 degrees,,water temp is about 185-220 degrees,, not good, i have had good luck with smal crakes with alui-weld.. local harbor freight carrys it.. map gas is the best way to use it..

·
Premium Member
22,989 Posts
You can have it welded if you have a local aluminum welder. Or they're pretty cheap to replace for a good used one. They aren't worth much.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
West Systems is great for marine woodwork. I would be surprised if it held up for an engine compartment.

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
try find a good straight s/h one, if not then weld.
This is cracked because someone was too enthusiastic tightening it up - they require very little torque to maintain a dry seal, especially if you use a quality gasket like a Viktor Reinz (german)

·
Premium Member
22,989 Posts
I probably have one lying around I'd sell you for less than the cost of welding. But shipping might put it out of economic range.
Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts