Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered something else, the bolt? in the front of the camshaft cover, is stripped. are they easy to find? can I repair this? 1992 spider

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
The bolt (or stud?) is most likely fine but the threads in the aluminum cam cap are stripped.

Remove the cam cap and repair it with a thread insert repair (Heli-Coil is a brand name). The repair will be stronger than the original threads.

I advise removing the cam cap because 1) it is easy & B) the threaded section goes all the way through to the cam shaft bearing surface. Removing the cam cap will avoid getting metal shards onto the cam bearing.

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
I have discovered something else, the bolt? in the front of the camshaft cover, is stripped. are they easy to find? can I repair this? 1992 spider
I got a replacement from Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange (APE) Alfa Parts Exchange - Used Alfa Romeo Parts. If I remember correctly, S3 will also fit your S4, just the tool is different to tighten and loosen. S3 uses a hex and S4 uses torx. I am not sure of other years.

By the way, when you get around to it, that metal washer you circled belongs in the back. Here's a picture. Front 4 are paper, rear 2 are metal.

Good luck.

Vin

cam cover.jpg

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is not the threads, it is the hex in the cap. it has been rounded.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
you are lucky then, just need to find a replacement bolt (see below)! But how do you strip the hex thread here - that I have never seen - it must have been tightened by Charles Atlas! (not good, those bolts should be very lightly torqued strictly as per the workshop manual 10.3-14.8 ft.lbs only, or you will warp easily the cam cover - I always use a Viktor Reinz gasket (dry, as it has a bead of sealant on it already which should face upwards - cost a few bucks more but I swear by them) and torque those bolts just to 10 or 12 ft.lbs. Never had a leak there.
couple of sets on ebay: 120561913414 and 360376488816

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how bad tool? but it is loose and that is how I noticed...I will check it out on ebay, and keep an eye for leaks.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Just FYI. There is a guy in GA selling these cam cover nuts which he makes out of stainless steel. They are $60.00 a set and come with teflon sealing washers. I will be happly to pass along his contact email for anyone who wants it.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just FYI. There is a guy in GA selling these cam cover nuts which he makes out of stainless steel. They are $60.00 a set and come with teflon sealing washers. I will be happly to pass along his contact email for anyone who wants it.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN [email protected]
Great job on the airbox! That was the next project for mine. You beat me to it!

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will take the info, I need to figure out what I am doing with it, and that looks lika a option,,,shame I can not just find one, only one is bad, and I would rather put the extra cash into something else...

the air box, is it the orig, and you platted it? or did you get a replacement somewhere.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Source for polished stainless steel cam cover nuts. Set of 6 is $60.00 and they come with teflon washers.

John Martin
MMS & Accessories
261 NALLY ROAD
RYDAL,GA 30171

770-386-5772
800-441-9451
Fax 770-607-7131

<http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/> MMS & Accessories, Inc.
VETERAN OWNED

Not assiciated with me, just the guy I bought my set from.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts