Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,472 Posts
Your pic with the 2, I'm pretty sure you swapped the intake and exhaust caps 'cause that don't look right

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,472 Posts
Unless my memory fails me from yesterday, 1 goes on the exhaust side. You're using the intake template.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
I double checked. Hows this
I noticed the 1's do not match up on the top, both caps only have timing marks on one side.
It looks like the machine shop screwed up and did not keep the cam caps with the correct heads.

Each head should have cam caps numbering 1 through 6. Starting with front cap on exhaust side is number 1. Then counting down the exhaust cam crossing over to the rear of the intake cam and counting up with number 6 being at the front of the intake cam.

I bet the head on your engine has two number 6's on it.

Your lucky you haven't locked up a cam.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Gubi you are 100% correct, I did reverse them. It looks like next I need to make a sharpie mark at 104/104 and give that a shot on the car. I would have caught the numbers when I went to re-install

No Jim I have 1-6, I did the labor for putting the head onto the car and timing the cams. I would have caught it if the cam caps weren't numbered right. What was in question was what should I time the cams at and which caps are correct for my 74' car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
this is an interesting discussion for me. i have had the same exact problem on my newly rebuilt 1600. i used the same cams in the rebuild and had the carbs rebuilt by some outfit in LA. They rebuilt the carbs to stock specs except for the addition of a more robust accelerator pump, that they assured me would improve upon the original item. i also installed the solid webber mounts Spruell sells. everything was put back together very carefully and i'm relatively sure there are no leaks. the condition first occurred immediately upon firing the engine up for the first time while breaking it in. once i had the engine back down to idle the "cough" occurred more randomly. i fiddled with the mixture screws and the timing for awhile until the cough became less frequent. it however would return if i was cruising along steadily at 2500-3000 RPMs just as the originator of this thread described. over time the condition has lessened to the point of being very rare, without any further fiddling with anything.
interesting though, my engine and carburetors are completely stock and i experienced the same condition.
I'm not sure we have the same issue but there's some extra data for you.
regards
mark

·
Super Moderator
11,546 Posts
You have a different issue. The focus of the issue in this thread has moved to incorrect cam set-up. There are a lot of issues developed in this thread that may or may not have bearing on your application.

·
Richard Jemison
7,370 Posts
The cam caps in your 2 pictures have the templates on the opposite caps. The intake templates are on the exhaust caps. The exhaust caps are marked with #1 the intake caps are marked #6.
Set the cams at 104/104 LCs.
Correcting your cam timing will make a huge difference in performance & drivability!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update.
Cam timing was updated to 104/104.
Ive driven the car to work, it still coughed. I wouldn't say better or worse.
Driveability did improve, the transitions in speed are much smoother but still room for improvement.

I put the cam caps marked 114/102 on the car (just did not use their marks).

·
Richard Jemison
7,370 Posts
154 Posts
Discussion Starter • #31 2 h ago
Update.
Cam timing was updated to 104/104.
I put the cam caps marked 114/102 on the car (just did not use their marks).

Cam caps are not interchangeable between heads. They are line bored on the head they came from.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts