Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
7,081 Posts
Wear

Nothing unusual about them.
To measure wear you use Plastigauge UNDER the camshaft, not on top. Clearance should never be more than .0015 or low RPM oil pressure is very low.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wear on Cam Caps

I've never seen a post on this subject before. I'm glad I saw Alfar7's reply. I've personally never seen a bad cam cap. A few of mine or cars I've worked on through the years may have had a slight score but nothing that seemed to impair the engine. I always clean out the recess where the top stud is drilled through to clean out any residue.
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. Now I can check my cars for the correct dimension at the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. The head I have on my car now is leaking over the distributor a quart every 150 miles. I've changed the gaskets with no change. The head in photos above was on the engine until I bought a rebuilt head with euro cams. I'm guessing there is a problem with the new head above the distributor even though I checked it with a straight edge prior to installation.
Thanks again!
Jim

·
9,944 Posts
OK, so your cam caps are good, but you have a significant oil leak.

So, what's causing the oil leak?

- Might the head be warped in that area?
- Could the O ring that seals the oil supply to the front intake cam be leaking? I assume you replaced those O rings when you replaced the head gasket. Still, getting those six points to seal properly is challenging.
- Did it leak before you installed the rebuilt head?

Before tearing it apart again, you might try cleaning up the oil as thoroughly as possibly, adding some fluorescent dye to your oil, and using a UV light to pinpoint the source of the leak.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I don't need a dye to see the leak... The cam journals in the photos are from the spare head. It didn't leak. The new head does leak. I'm planning on changing back to the spare head but wanted to make sure the wear wasn't abnormal.
I have the roll pins and use square cut o rings in the head gasket.
I put the new head on and it leaked above the dizzy, thought it was something I did wrong so I did it all over again with new gaskets including o rings. Same leak area, so I think there is a fault with the head above the dizzy.
Jim

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Sorry, but I have to ask. Were the timing cover to head bolts installed?
I'd think that a leak that huge would be fairly easy to find?

·
Richard Jemison
7,081 Posts
Leak

The bolt in the front cpver above thr distributor opens into the chain tensioner bore.
That 8mm bolt must be sealed with a high torque sealant (Ultra Grey) or it will pour oil !

Remove it and clean it and threads in the head then coat liberally with Ultra Grey and re-torque it down. Should stop the leak you have in the area,

While at it reeorque the head stud nuts to 70 lbft.

·
Premium Member
21,155 Posts
I've seen a couple bad journals. The front exhaust cam journal, bottom, can get scored/galled if the cam chain is too tight. The crank pulls clockwise and that's the journal that takes the force. I had one on a 750 Berlina, Normal Racing was able to clean up sufficiently without having to ream, etc.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, they're both installed (I just checked). Thanks for asking. It's been a while since I changed the head, maybe back in February.
I'm going to clean it up and double check everything before I go changing heads again.
Thanks for the reply
Jim

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bolt in the front cpver above thr distributor opens into the chain tensioner bore.
That 8mm bolt must be sealed with a high torque sealant (Ultra Grey) or it will pour oil !

Remove it and clean it and threads in the head then coat liberally with Ultra Grey and re-torque it down. Should stop the leak you have in the area,

Thanks! I have never sealed that bolt before. I'll pick up some Ultra Grey and seal it up as we'll as re-torque the head bolts. I was planning on doing that at 500 miles, but while I'm in there.....
Thanks again.
Jim

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You commented on another thread the re-torque should be done on a hot engine. Correct?
Thanks
Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts