Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about the remove the head as part of a light rebuild. I have the Brooklands owners workshop manual as s guide, and also the Cardisc for the GTV.

Question: is there a default correct orientation and position for each cam cap? My caps are stamped 1 thru 6. They are positioned in the order 1-3-2-4-5-6, starting at the front exhaust side, /and going counter clockwise

Is this non-sequential order of the cam caps to be expected? 2E893DDC-27C4-4124-9490-1AC8FB0CFBD9.jpeg

·
Registered
488 Posts
It seems that your cam caps have been installed incorrectly. It should be: #1 Ex front, then #2 EX middle, #3 EX rear, #4 IN rear, #5 IN middle, #6 IN front. The numbers should all align, in view. It is obvious what the proper way is to install the #1 and #6 caps because of the cam timing marks (both face rearwards). I would remove the valves and springs etc, then reinstall the cams and see-feel how the cams spin with the caps installed in the sequence that they are now, and also with the caps installed correctly. With light oil lubricating the journals, they should spin freely with a bit of resistance. I would also use Plastigage to measure the cam to journal clearance. Of course, inspect the head and caps for evidence of abnormal wear. Depending on your findings, it may be better to keep the sequence that it is now, or change it to the correct sequence. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts