Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice please. My 147 broke down recently, the water pump/cam belt went. Its a recent purchase from a garage and is still under warranty. Its gone back to their garage and they have suggested the following:
He has had a brief look at the Alfa Romeo today and advised that there may be a couple of options on what to do as you mentioned water was leaking and the Cambelt has gone which may have caused issues in the Head so what he has said basically a replacement engine or to get the vehicles head skimmed (Valves replacing) fully and then re assembled with a new Cambelt kit+water Pump and oil, filter change. We think it may be cost effective to go down the route of having the head skimmed and replacing with new parts.

Any feedback on this please? My own mechanic says its a write off.

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
A slipped or broken timing belt will cause valve damage. The place you bought the car from should have replaced the belt, if they did not have documentation on when it was last done.

A used engine will have many unkowns. If you go with a used engine, I would encourage a compression test. If that shows leakage, follow up with a leak down test to see if it's leaking past the rings. A MUST for that used engine is a new timing belt and water pump.

If the engine in the car was performing well, there's nothing wrong with doing a valve job and replacing the water pump.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm looking for some advice please. My 147 broke down recently, the water pump/cam belt went. Its a recent purchase from a garage and is still under warranty. Its gone back to their garage and they have suggested the following:
He has had a brief look at the Alfa Romeo today and advised that there may be a couple of options on what to do as you mentioned water was leaking and the Cambelt has gone which may have caused issues in the Head so what he has said basically a replacement engine or to get the vehicles head skimmed (Valves replacing) fully and then re assembled with a new Cambelt kit+water Pump and oil, filter change. We think it may be cost effective to go down the route of having the head skimmed and replacing with new parts.

Any feedback on this please? My own mechanic says its a write off.
The cam belt on these engines (fitted to 147/156/GT etc) are WELL known to fail if not replaced on time as recommended in the service manual etc.

This includes replacing all tensioners, idlers and (recommended) the water pump AS all these parts form the path of the cambelt.

Many reasons why it could have failed; old age, bad tensioner, failed water pump.. all lead to additional stress in the belt path quickly destroying it.

It’s an interference type engine, so when the cambelt fails, the valve train and valves no longer move in sync with the pistons and they get squished. This always results in bent valves, ruined guides, dinged pistons (not so bad) and sometimes ovaled big end bearings - as that’s where the energy ends up/stops.

Replacing all this is usually makes the engine an economic write-off. Just source another ‘known’ one from a wrecker - change the cambelt etc and refit it.

If it was under warranty, hand it back and let them sort out how they want to proceed fixing it.

There is nothing special about this, any cambelt driven interference engine will result in the same damage if the belt breaks due to old age/lack of maintenance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts