Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys looking for some help here took my cylinder head off my 1600 gt junior now i have refitted it but dont know how to set the cam and valve timing could you help me, first time i have done a head gasket on a alfa, i also suspect it wasnt correct to begin with

·
Richard Jemison
7,774 Posts
Valve timing

I sure hope you had the cams aligned to match piston position before installing the head. If not you very well have a bent valve or two.

remove the cam caps so cams are free and not opening any valves and do a leakdown test before going farther with assembly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alfaparticle for the link thats great, hi Alfar7 i have installed the head but not tightened it down yet until i workedout the cam timing what i pick up is put the motor at "P" and then line up the cam marks.

·
Super Moderator
11,365 Posts
what i pick up is put the motor at "P" and then line up the cam marks.
Yea, that's basically it. Keep in mind that the cams have two marks 180 degrees apart (which is why intake & exhaust cams are interchangable). So make sure that the #1 lobes are pointed outward when the motor is at "P", and the distributor is set to fire #1 cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts