download.

Any questions other questions not answered on the website email me at:
[email protected]

HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.humanatek.com/callaway.htm

Stolen off the digest...check out that price tag :eek:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I got it also. I thought it would be great to back others from it as a template. But 5000 is way to much. What if it doesn't work? My wife would make sure they never found my body!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Well, I must disagree with the tone of the replies. The kit is an original Callaway kit. If you had a Callaway GTV6 (1 of 35 in the whole world), you would probably save up the $5K to buy it in case yours blows up.

But, in terms of net value alone, most of us would probably think it's cheaper to just build our own. For your reference you could go to

Turbokits

to see how much single-turbo installations are for other cars. The Callaway kit is a twin-turbo setup that can be used with your engine as-is. Note that a similar, although more advanced, twin-turbo setup for the NSX (3.0V6) is $8,899.

OK, so you'll say, "with $2,000, I can make my Honda have a Turbo and kick a Callaway's ***". Sure, but this is what you'll end up with:

4.2Mb file of Turbo'ed Honda

If you think that's cool ... well ... go for it. You'll save $3K and you'll have a fast Honda!

Look, I'm not saying the Callaway kit is the cat's meow. It is what it is, and it has value to those that would like to duplicate a Callaway GTV6 setup, or those that wish to keep their collector cars period correct. However, if you build your own, $5K is the bare minimum you'll start with not including the labor and dyno time it takes to get everything right, and daily-driveable.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't know...I looked at the site and was trying to think of what stuff I have to sell to afford it. :D Might be fun ;), though I think I'll focus on making my car road worthy first :p

Also, I remember emailing back and forth with Martin, when he was trying to track down the person that had his car...I know what hell he went through to get parts, and get his Callaway back together. I saw it 2 years ago at the Palo Alto show (Concourse?...errr, what's the name of it?)...very unique :)

Ted

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think that if Martin (or someone who could afford to do it) would take it and use it as a template to make more he could have a major impact on Alfas here in the country. There would be a turbo kit available for everyone and it would not have to be re-engineered. We could kick *** as a group when it came to those silly *** turboed rice mobiles. V6 Alfas owners as a group should really think about this. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If by 'mods' you mean no change to the engine, then no. When Callaway put the kit together for Alfa Romeo (it was a factory sanctioned modification, and Callaway GTV6's could be bought at your Alfa dealership), they had to reduce the compression ratio of the motor from 9.0:1 to 7.6:1.

So, you'll have to modify your engine to go down from 9.5:1 or 10.0:1 (in case you already have S-pistons in there) to something lower. I don't know what the number would be for a 3.0-liter engine.

Otherwise, it would be a bolt-on job, which will hopefully work out in the end.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Pricing of a turbo kit for Alfa V6's

By the way, I'm curious.

How much would you pay for a twin turbo, bolt on kit for your V6 Milano or GTV6? I'm talking about a complete bolt-on kit, which includes pistons, turbos, manifolds, intercooler, ECU wiring, exhaust, and a turbo gauge?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nizam

I like your idea of a "bolt-on kit"....

" includes pistons, turbos, manifolds, intercooler, ECU wiring, exhaust, and a turbo gauge?"....

Oh to have such skills !!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Pricing of a turbo kit for Alfa V6's

nizam said:
By the way, I'm curious.

How much would you pay for a twin turbo, bolt on kit for your V6 Milano or GTV6? I'm talking about a complete bolt-on kit, which includes pistons, turbos, manifolds, intercooler, ECU wiring, exhaust, and a turbo gauge?
Cheaper then $5,000 that's for sure!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Not to be a smart aleck, but you wouldn't shell out $4,900 for such a kit wouldja?

Is $4,900 too much? Would $4,500 be better?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i been looking at this thread. the more i go to that site selling the kit, the more i say to myself, i'd get it for sure if i had my priorities up my a$$. its not a bad price for that stuff. at least i think it's not.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
It's old technology.... Doesn't include pistons or anything to lower compression.

If you seriously think you can make a serious TT conversion for under 5000 USD you need to think again.
But to make something that matches this kit isn't going to be very expensive. ;)

-A couple of used turbos
-some pipes
-manifolds can be expensive but if you cam make your own, not too expensive.
-megasquirt.
-used throttlebodies
-intercooler? why bother, the Callawy one isnt going to do any good sitting between the engine and hood anyway...

For me there is no magic whatsoever in the Callaway name, This wasn't something Alfa in Italy ordered, this was something the American Importer got toghether.
Even If you put that stuff on a GTV6 you don't have a Callaway, at least not in my book.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts