Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Swig family, confirmed Alfa folks, ran the Mille for 30 years. No Mille in 2020, and this year Hagerty has come on board with David and Howard Swig as tour directors. It was last week, from 4/25 to 4/29. I went as one of three mechanics working the whole event, along with Conrad S and Larry D. All Alfa guys. I was standing in for another guy who had a injury requiring resting of his arm.
Instead of starting at the Fairmount like other years, it started at Cavallo Point in Sausalito, went up the coast to Little River south of Mendocino, up to Arcata and across to Redding, up into the foothills near Mt Lassen, down to Thunderhill for a lunch tour during another group's track event, then up and across Lake County, down to Yountville in the Napa Valley. 50 cars registered, about 47 made the start. Only two Alfas, the Swig Bros' Giulietta Spider Veloce, and a 1900 Pininfarina from Orange County. 14 Porsche 356s, various Ferraris, two Maserati A6Gs, one Frua, one Zagato, various Fiats, Siatas, Jags, a Healey, a TR3, a pre-war Bentley, two Lancia sports racers, two Lancia Aurelias, two Arnholt Bristols, Astons, ACs. Quite a bunch.
I had a red Dodge Caravan full of tools and supplies. Before we even got out the door we had a fixit at Cavallo Point. Conrad called me at 9 Sunday AM (event actually starts Monday morning) to say an XK-120 had bad brakes, pulled badly to one side. I dashed over, took it apart in the rain, found nonmatching brake cylinder cups, one frozen piston, one leaking piston. Once Conrad brought new cups over, we did a parking lot rebuild and bleed, including welding the alignment caps back on the pistons. All good, car had no more issues.
Other fun fixes included a bad wheel bearing on an AC, clutch on the TR needing bleeding on Highway One, various non-start issues with batteries, pumps, starters, one 356 pre-A that when parked nose-up drained all its gas into one cylinder, got hydro-locked. Larry figured that one out, fixed without damage. I got to sort out a starter issue on McKeel Hagerty's orange Speedster while stood there. A missing nut on the main starter wire proved the culprit. Whew.
See Steve Serio giving the big thumbs-down on his Speedster. It had an aftermarket oil cooler and filter installed, which were in the swing of the LR tire. Eventually wore through, oil everywhere except at the main and rod bearings. Oh boy. But we got him off the road safely, back to the hotel, where we diagnosed loud noises too expensive for our pay grade.
All in all a great time. Stressful, long days, 986 miles, but not as many fixes as I might have thought. Veterans said this was a relatively easy year. Will I be back? Dunno, depends on the how the guy I stood in for heals.
See pics, in reverse order. A few spectators showed up at the start and along the way, but we were going for a low COVID profile this year, for the most part pulled off.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Wow that must have been a very interesting experience. And sounds like they were very lucky to have you there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts