Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't take this heat anymore. We closed the shop early yesterday and didn't even bother opening up today. Good thing Monday is a holiday! On my way home a few minutes ago I saw an outside temp of 109!.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I was planning to go out to the Street Of Willow Springs to see what happening at the AROSC Driving School tomorrow, but I've changed my mind as the forcast temp is 104. I'm staying home near the beach where it's in the mid 70's.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I hear you! I'm dying down here in SD too. The house I just remodeled and leased out has a 4 ton AC/12 seer unit and the one I live in has fans! I'm going to fly back to AZ Tuesday so I can get back to my 73 degree AC unit, after I jump into the ocean tomorrow and Monday for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Wimps!

It's 116F in Palm Desert.

It has been 119 for several days.

I almost went to Willow to get away from the heat. :cool:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Not too hot in Texas this summer.....and we actually got rain!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Heat and I do not get along...my ac runs 24/7 on low which keeps the house livable so that I can do a few easy things that are not too brain taxing; otherwise I'd have to stay in bed. Sorting the closet, remodeling, painting the house, doing yard work are definitely not in my plans; nor is going to Willow Springs.

While it's hot in California, it's a dry hot, still very fatiguing, but beats the same temperature with 85% humidity in Michigan along with the bug swatting. I looked forward to the Detroit convention since it had been 70s, mild, and breezy the week previous....no such luck of it holding. It was not, however, like the New Hampshire convention where the humidity was so high it was raining on Sunday and they had to move the concours into the garage area.

California will probably get a reprieve of some kind, or so the weather forecasters call it of some 2 or 3 degrees decline in temperature. ;) How about rain or snow for a change.

From the who cares department: a marketing company representing Nestle had their "ugly" blue Scion with the pink teeter totter on the roof overheat and blow the engine up yesterday in Barstow trying to make it to Seattle for a promotional event. Anyone for melted chocolate? ;)

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Anyone for melted chocolate? ;)
SO, just how hot was it? Here on the right coast things have cooled off somewhat and I don't miss those 100 plus heat index days with high humadiddy.

Cool 75 tonight at 8:30 p.m.

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport. 2019 Stelvio ti Lusso.
1,549 Posts
A dry 76F today in New Hampshire. I thought you Cali guys were used to warmth.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Used to warmth...

We live with heat.

But no one can live with 110 to 119, even if its dry. ;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
SO, just how hot was it? Here on the right coast things have cooled off somewhat and I don't miss those 100 plus heat index days with high humadiddy.

Cool 75 tonight at 8:30 p.m.
Cool 75 tonight, if only, I wish....

Only a mild 108 degrees yesterday in Barstow, not including humidity. But if you've ever overheated along the route where it says turn off your air-conditioning, next water 1/4 mile etc. there is not a cool spot, in the car or out on the road. (They did have their air-conditioning off.) The chocolate melted even though it was packed in an ice chest. I'm going to save you asking where were the graham crackers and marshmallows --- obviously, these two were not "prepared" as the motto goes. Pat and I have driven that stretch many times, but never overheated; have had the pump thermos full of coffee, froth out as we ascended the mountain though, almost thought I was serving cappuccino. Normally, we put it in cups though instead of washing our feet with it.

They waited quite some time for the tow truck without water or beverages except for what they could get from the ice chest; the water 1/4 mile away is posted not for drinking....I wonder why? ;) He sunbathed, it was so hot he decided to remove some of his clothing since the sweat was pouring off his body and his clothing was soaked; his female companion was not quite as comfortable. Another advantage males have over females when traveling.

Then there was the rental car adventure --- one-way rental car, what's that? It costs what? Do you think I want to bring it back here? Two hours later and several rental agencies later -- You want us to wait while you wash the car before you give it to us?

Is that supposed to remind you that reservations are helpful, even if you don't know you're going to need one? ;)

·
Registered
what part?
10,119 Posts
yes it is hot, i am at work now, trying to sell 'hot' cars.. lots of fun, trying to touch hot metal, getting into a oven trying to start the car...and yes that hot rush of the ac before it cools down..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Portland, Oregon checking in

A perfect 74, (peaked at 80, humidity 38%) bright blue skies, light breeze. Great day for a 35 mile tandem bike ride with my lovely daughter (Spiders in the shop!)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
As they say in Holland, "the more we drive the old cars, the better the weather gets"

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
More heat related complaints

Mary and I went out to Lancaster to have dinner with the High Performance Driving School group and to hear our guest instructor/speaker, Davey Jordon.
It was 101 at 6:30pm and 99 at 9pm
We are back in Chatsworth and it is a cool 85 deg at 10pm.
I picked a great weekend to take a weekend off from instructing!!!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Pat Braden said:
While it's hot in California, it's a dry hot
so's the surface of Mercury.

Anthony's got the right idea; close the shop, get outta Dodge.
Taking things out of context certainly changes the meaning....doesn't it? You'd almost think from the part of the phrase that you snipped of mine that I was indicating that Anthony was wrong to close the shop, I find the "dry" heat in California survivable, etc., which is far from the truth and the comparison indicated in my post when read in context and in its entirety. If you had put "..." after the end of the phrase you snipped, it would have completely changed the meaning and indicated that there was more tied to that thought.

There are a few on the bb who cannot quote properly and change the context in their attempts; one recent shining example stands out who another bber took to task in not too kind of terms that I will not repeat here. Let's just say, be careful in what you quote and the way it's presented, you would not want to be lumped in that other category described above nor be the recipient of some very direct, deserved, and unkind remarks by others.

Btw, I've never visited the the surface of Mercury, have you? So I'll have to take your word for that or imagine what it's like to wake up at -130 F, by mid-morning enjoy a nice 80 F, by mid-day try and tolerate 765 F, waiting for the high of some 800 F. I imagine breathing might pose a problem also...think breathing fire as well as there is no water as we know it. It's not in my near travel plans either, fwiw.

Source: Watters, Thomas R. Planets. Ligature Inc, 1995.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Taking things out of context certainly changes the meaning....doesn't it? You'd almost think from the part of the phrase that you snipped of mine that I was indicating that Anthony was wrong to close the shop, I find the "dry" heat in California survivable, etc., which is far from the truth and the comparison indicated in my post when read in context and in its entirety. If you had put "..." after the end of the phrase you snipped, it would have completely changed the meaning and indicated that there was more tied to that thought.
Yikes.

I do believe you're taking this much too seriously. I didn't imagine you were criticizing Anthony for closing the shop. I don't imagine Anthony took it that way either. My post was a joke. And one, I would have thought, not even remotely offensive enough to have warranted such a response. Else I wouldn't have posted it in the first place.

But next time I promise to use an ellipsis--as I usually do.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Though sometimes I have to force myself to say it when its this hot, I'd much, much rather be using warm wrenches than cold ones.

Perhaps if I had a nice cool (meant of course both literally and figuratively) Maserati I'd close shop early too. As it is Sunday's and holidays are always a good time to paint car bits since the place is empty. Paint sure dries fast!

Many, many moons ago when I lived in the midwest, I'd been working outside at 15 below zero doing surveying work - which frequently required bare hands. Moved to Blythe, CA where it was 75 or so in the dead of winter. Ah, bliss (until summer of course).

Biba

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Yikes.

I do believe you're taking this much too seriously. I didn't imagine you were criticizing Anthony for closing the shop. I don't imagine Anthony took it that way either. My post was a joke. And one, I would have thought, not even remotely offensive enough to have warranted such a response. Else I wouldn't have posted it in the first place.

But next time I promise to use an ellipsis--as I usually do.
Ed:

No offense taken and had I read what you do for a living before I posted the response, I would have felt comfortable using the "ellipsis" designation. When I have people come back and ask me what "SME," "PATSYF," and questions like wouldn't drying out an engine with ether make it explode, I've learned to be very cautious and careful about what I post and how it's worded even if it's intended sarcastically or jokingly. I felt this was an innocent enough example to make the point where there is "no harm, no foul."

I'm sorry if you were offended, it was meant in a light-hearted way that when we post information that others rely on, especially technical information, there is a sense or should be sense of wanting to be extremely clear to avoid liability for yourself or the bb. It was not intended as a personal attack.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts