Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at some ignition specs published a while back by both Centerline and ARicambi and they show that USA model '72-75 Spider, GTV, Berlina had their "F" Static Timing mark at 5*-7* ATDC. On my '74 the "F" mark is definitively BTDC. So the questions are: Did California spica models get different timing from other US cars and if so, what's the "F" timing for a California car?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
So the questions are: Did California spica models get different timing from other US cars and if so, what's the "F" timing for a California car?
Yes, the timing on the 1974 CA cars is different as follows;

'F' mark, 49 State = 5-7* ATDC
'F' mark, CA version = 8* ATDC

'M' mark, 49 State = 27-33* BTDC @ 5000rpm
'M' mark, CA version - 25-31* BTDC @ 5000rpm

All pre-catalytic converter L4 Spica cars used ATDC static timing. With the introduction of the cat on 77 CA cars and followed by the 49 State cars in 1978, Alfa changed the static timing to BTDC. So, since your F mark is BTDC, I'd say that your front pulley is from a late 70s Spica car (assuming that it's a Spica pulley).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim, right again.
using a graduated timing wheel template I determined that my crankshaft pulley likely came from an 80-81 Spider. What's crazy is that it ran well with M timed at the 42* shown on the pulley when it really should have been at 33*. So much for being precisely tuned...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts