Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Alfa 75 2.0 twin carburetors
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I wanted to ask you guys, do you know if the 75/Milano had any sort of cabin filter, or some kind of mesh to protect the cabin air intake? I am asking because I am getting sick of removing the dashboard and cleaning the airbox of leaves and whatnot, as well as eliminating any fire hazard. On my first trip with this car, smoke came out the dash because leaves clogged the little resistances for the motor steps, and I wasn't familiar with the car back then.

From what I can figure, there are some kind of guides there for some kind of filter I guess, but I can't find any information anywhere.

I am talking about this intake (sorry about the dirt, I cleaned it after I took the picture):

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,066 Posts
It did not, no. What a lot of us did was get a piece of metal screen, cut it to size, and stick it over the outside intake. This pretty much solves the problem.

Reactions: 75Nord

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, so i've heard after my smoky dash adventure a few years ago. I still find it weird to not have any screen there, given that if you look at the walls of the intake, it seems like something should slide over those 90 degree lips. They probably forgot about it because italians. I swear this car has the most idiotic HVAC box, and I've seen some other badly designed systems but this one sir, this one takes the cake. I mean it's still a cool car, but some of the things about it just drives me mad.

·
2,261 Posts
Adding a cabin filter to a car that didn't have one could be tricky. For a while Honda fitted Civics with cabin filters only in combination with AC. I originally wondered why. I had a few of these Civics, with AC and filter. They are notorious for not having the longest lasting compressors. Whenever AC quit working, it was almost impossible to defog the windshield. I believe the cabin filter gathers moisture, and the drying effect of AC is required to compensate. I had to remove the cabin filter to be able to drive the car on damp days.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,079 Posts
It's one thing to have a fine particle, ie, pollen, dust, etc, filter as in say the 164, but it is another thing to have a mesh which hopefully keeps out parts of leaves, etc, stuff which could start a fire due to the particular design of the Milano hvac system. The Milano should have come with such a leaf filter from new. Cleaning the heater in our Milano is one of the chores I was going to do this spring but an ailment kinda got in the way. Maybe this summer, using Multicam's instructions and photos.

Hvac pollen/dust filters don't seem to be not as essential to most since many owners don't even seem to change that filter in their cars which came with them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The later 75s or Milano ( Mine is a 1990 Potenziata 3.0 V6 ) had a plastic filter / cover that goes on top of the intake hole, underneath where the wiper motor is. I can try to take a photo of it next time. On my other 75 Twin Spark , it never had one so I just fabricated a mesh grill with some filter foam over the top. Has worked well and kept the leaves away.

It's one thing to have a fine particle, ie, pollen, dust, etc, filter as in say the 164, but it is another thing to have a mesh which hopefully keeps out parts of leaves, etc, stuff which could start a fire due to the particular design of the Milano hvac system. The Milano should have come with such a leaf filter from new. Cleaning the heater in our Milano is one of the chores I was going to do this spring but an ailment kinda got in the way. Maybe this summer, using Multicam's instructions and photos.

Hvac pollen/dust filters don't seem to be not as essential to most since many owners don't even seem to change that filter in their cars which came with them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The later 75s or Milano ( Mine is a 1990 Potenziata 3.0 V6 ) had a plastic filter / cover that goes on top of the intake hole, underneath where the wiper motor is. I can try to take a photo of it next time. On my other 75 Twin Spark , it never had one so I just fabricated a mesh grill with some filter foam over the top. Has worked well and kept the leaves away.
Do you happen to know the part number for said plastic cover?

·
17,079 Posts
Our 89 USA version doesn't have that cover. Wouldn't mind one, but a screen works.

Maybe the part number is this?: 60527177

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
60527177 is the interior screen on the dashboard.

Anyway, I've improvised a metallic mesh to fit there, and secured it with double adhesive on the firewall side, and some steel clips I've salvaged from a spare door. Hope this doesn't cause other issues. I've checked to make sure that the wiper mechanism doesn't get tangled and it seems to be fine.

·
17,079 Posts
Oh, ok. Was hard to tell from the eper. Looked at our Milano and saw that inside screen. Had never noticed it before, lol. The plastic screen mentioned above must be like the very fragile thin plastic cover as the 164 uses. I think most have destroyed the ones in their 164s and thrown them away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, before I forget. Don't want to start a new topic so I'll just ask here maybe someone knows older tech. What is that copper/brass tube that winds in front of the heater core? It is connected to the heater core valve, does anyone know what purpose does it serve? I'm asking because my heater core never seems to be completely off, letting just a tiny bit of warm air through. Finding a new heater core valve seems to be impossible, and all 75s around here have like home depot pluming tap/valve stuck around somewhere in between the engine and the firewall on the heater hose. Personally I don't want to do that, I would like to try and fix mine or find a solution so that I don't have to pop the hood everytime I want to turn the heat on/off.

I am talking about this tube:

·
17,079 Posts
Temperature sensor probe I spect.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry, no part number but i have included a photo of what it looks like. It is just a plastic frame with wire mesh.

[

QUOTE="75Nord, post: 8642777, member: 367850"]
[/QUOTE]

·
17,079 Posts
Interesting. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts