Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the "uprated" rubber rear trailing arm bushings from Classic Alfa (P/Ns SU162 and SU164)? I'm assuming the "uprating" is in regards to handling rather than longevity, and so assume that these would fall somewhere between stock rubber and polyurethane in terms of stiffness. I'm wondering if these offer any noticeable improvement in handling, and likewise, how much harsher they are than stock. Any first-hand reviews?

Also, CA quotes a shore (durometer) rating of 80. Does anybody know the shore rating of the stock rubber bushings?

Logan

·
Push hard and live
9,637 Posts
I just installed a set of their uprated trailing arm bushings. Not because of hardness or any other esoteric reasons, but because the regular ones they sell were all dimensionally wrong.

I’ve gotten several bushings from them over the years, for a variety of applications, and about 40% are dimensionally incorrect. The recent job was a 11502, and all four trailing arm bushings would just fall through the hole. The “uprated” parts that they rushed over to me had the correct interference fit. Same problem with some bushings for a 10204.

they always rush to fix these problems.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. Did uprated bushings go into the MF? From the thread about that car, sounds like you're generally happy with the ride and handling.

·
Push hard and live
9,637 Posts
Yep. As typical of an aging and long dormant Alfa, the trailing arm bushings were dead. Pretty hilarious torque steer as a result.

The trailing arms don’t transmit much shock-load into the chassis, or your rump. We really just want a consistent placement of the rear axle. Just a tiny bit softer than a heim joint to eliminate noise. So, a very firm bushing is good, with little downside.

To my eyes, the uprated bushes appeared identical to OE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts