Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recently purchase new serpent badges and found the curvature to be incorrect or nonexistent for the body's curvature? If you bought correctly-contoured badges (recently) could you ID the vendor? Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought the ones from IAP and they are not curved, and they were very expensive... I tried carefully bending one (they seem to be made of brass) and I was afraid it would break, but I was able to get some curvature. Now the cloisonee is starting to pop off where I bent them. I used black silicone caulk behind them to fill in the lack of curvature and it worked OK. I gotta say for the kind of money I paid, they should have the proper curvature.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,765 Posts
I didn't try and curve mine and the green still pops out and what doesn't fades. Used some Testors model enamel green to re do and it hasn't faded but some has come off. A constant work in progress. x2 on the price, I was willing to pay it because I thought it would be decent quality but it's not.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
I just got my badges from Classic Alfa. My complaint is that the right side badge fits the C pillar almost perfectly but the left side has big gaps on the lower left and upper right when looking at it(the badge touches the curvature of the body at its upper left and lower right.) The badge on the right side must have luckily had the correct amount of curvature but the badge I put on the left side has just the slightest bit of curvature that would suit the right side as well. But makes it worse than a flat badge for left-side use. I have heard for years the badges were all made flat and the same for both sides, unlike the originals that had different part #s L & R.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,765 Posts
Grrrrrrrrr, I don't mind paying premium prices for parts but the really aggravating part is the expectation of a quality part in return leads to disappointment. The real bummer is it's becoming par for the course.

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
I emailed Classic Alfa about the improper curvature for use on the left side. C.A. response below. (Larry is an Alfa owner I ordered parts with)

Hi Brad
Thanks for the email and apologies if you aren’t happy with the badges.

Back in 2018 I mentioned to Larry that these badges are sold under one part number as I believe AR originally formed the curvature whilst the badges were warm. I also believe AR may have had these badges listed under two different part numbers in their parts books even though there was only one tooling for the badges. I mentioned to Larry that there is only one curvature available due to tooling issues from the manufacturer.

Our manufacturer can only supply one style of which we have tried trial tested on an original car. Whilst removing the original badges we found that the factory had used some form of mastic behind the badges to fill any gaps. When we tried the badges on both pillars, we decided that the gap behind the badges was very minor.

These are the only badges we can supply and I have informed Larry about this and he mentioned that he was also concerned about the colouring being not the right shade.

You’ll probably find there are so many thoughts and conspiracies on forums these days however we have spoken to our manufacturer who is the direct source.

If you decide you can’t use the badges then please return them back to us for a refund.

Many thanks.
kind regards

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Post #10 is the response from C.A.
Tool Auto part Font Gauge Metalworking hand tool
Watch Product Circle Font Measuring instrument
Watch Tool Material property Circle Measuring instrument
Handwriting Circle Tints and shades Font Rectangle
Magnifying glass Material property Font Circle Technology
Handwriting Eyewear Font Circle Auto part
Post-it note Handwriting Font Material property Circle

I made a flat plexiglass plate that has 2 clearance holes for the pins and is flat to within .001" When good badges are put on the plate with the circular edge touching the plate at 2 opposite points, I measure the clearance 90 degrees from that contact and good badges with proper curvature have about .030" to .040" clearance measured with feeler gauges. You can tell what side the badge is designed for by where the clearance and contact points are. Classic Alfa sent 2 badges with curvature to suit the right side of the car. The last photo shows a new Classic Alfa badge that I called "left" that I am trying to fit on the left side but it is designed for the right side curvature. If the feeler gauge slips under the top right corner of the badge it is for the right side.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Brad....I had to settle with what was available at the time and I think I bought mine from BlackBart's at the 2012 AROC convention in Detroit....but they are no longer in business. BB labelled them with AR52 & AR53 which I assumed was RH & LH as per FrancoRagni designation. Of course I did not pay enough attention at the time ...and yes I found the same issue and end up filling the gaps all around with black RTV.....not perfect but ....IIWIS.

I don't know where CA procured theirs from...maybe FrancoRagni? Now on the FR website they used to show LH & RH gold cloverleafs AR52 & AR53 but now they no longer list them (I assume they're out of production?). They do however still list the green ones.....

Of course who knows if theirs actually are curved differently? Perhaps you can send them an email to ask this?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've fitted the Classic Alfa versions correctly by taking a file and dremel tool to the back side of the badge and filing/removing material where required according to the body contours to make them fit better.

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Maybe the company that is making the rubbery Alfa Logo for the steering wheel centre could come up with something.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
For the last 10 years at least the repro's have been flat.

I've got a bagged pair of NOS 2L Serpent badges if anyone's really interested. PM me and I'll look for them.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
I am looking for gold quads. Bought a pair from Classic alfa and they were both curved for right-side use?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.