Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people on here have recommended that I try and bypass the ignition switch to determine if it is the culprit for my Milano's issues starting. I'm ready to go ahead and do this, but I'm having trouble finding anything more than vague instructions on how to do this.

I've found the junction box where the solenoid wire/ignition switch wire come together, along with what I believe to be the power source.

Before I fry the hell out of my electrical system, can someone confirm for me which wires I'm jumping here? If I've read correctly, the red wire with the nut is the power source from the battery (referred to as the +12 nut), the black wire with the white connector connects to the small post on the solenoid, and the black wire with the black connector connects to the ignition switch.

Am I correct in my thought that the process is one of taking the ignition switch out of the equation by jumping the solenoid directly to the power source? And what would be the most appropriate way to complete that circuit?

And just to answer the question, yes, a relay is getting put in either way once I figure out if it's the ignition switch or the starter.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,272 Posts
IIRC you just want to connect from the stud with the red wire to the metal connector with the two wires. This will feed +12 to the starter solenoid and trigger it. Generally you use a remote starter switch for this:

Remote Starter Switch | AutoZone.com

Make sure the car's not in gear when you try it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC you just want to connect from the stud with the red wire to the metal connector with the two wires. This will feed +12 to the starter solenoid and trigger it. Generally you use a remote starter switch for this:

Remote Starter Switch | AutoZone.com

Make sure the car's not in gear when you try it.
Perfect, exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I believe my starter switch went bad while my car was sitting. I have tried jumpering the two wires explained in this post, and the starter works fine and starts the engine no problem. Here's my question, in the photo above it shows the fuel pump relay and the starter wiring box side by side. My car looks different, it has the twin fuel pump relay, and a smaller standard Bosch "ice cube" relay, then the start junction box. This ice cube relay is situated between the other two and the black ground wire from the starter box goes to this relay (as well as several other wires).

I tried replacing this relay, and the engine was able to start normally ONCE. Nothing after that. Tried replacing the relay again and still nothing. Can someone shed some light on what might be going on with my car? I'm at a bit of a loss with this one.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,272 Posts
Sounds like someone has added a starter relay. See here for some details:

Alfa Milano Registry - Adding a Starter Relay

It could be an issue with the added relay or wiring, obviously. It's also possible that the ignition switch start position has failed to the point where it can no longer trigger the relay.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I thought there was a possibilty that someone could have added a relay, but the wiring and such looks very factory. Maybe this was actually done originally? Not sure.

I pulled the switch and it looks fine, and operates smoothly. When turning it to the start position, the fuel pump runs and everything turns on inside the car, the starter just doesn't engage. Before I pulled the engine everything was working perfectly. I tried supplying 12V to the car end of the switches connector and i can hear the fuel pump turn on as if the switch is in the start position but still no starter engagement.

Does this point at the wiring and/or relay being the problem? (did I just solve my problem? haha) Thanks

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Nuetral safety switch

Hi Johnanthan1

Being that you have an automatic, somewhere in the car there must be a neutral safety switch. Those are a frequent source of no-crank condition in automatic cars.

There is a supplement to the Milano workshop model covering the automatic cars. Do you have it?

Bye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts