Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have for sale a metal bypass restrictor for radiator hose for cars with Spica injection? I have a 1979 Spider and mine is missing.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Yes I do. 15 bucks plus shipping

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Just curious, what does this restrictor do?
Yes, good question. I'd like to add:

- And why does the flow need restricting?

- Do these restrictors have any active or movable components like a thermostat does? Do they restrict more or less as the temperature rises? Doesn't the lower plate on the thermostat already control flow through the bypass hose as temperature rises?

- If the restrictors are just passive components, then why didn't Alfa just use a smaller hose between the water pump and intake manifold, instead of restricting down a larger hose?

Like many Alfa owners, I've never even seen a restrictor, much less had one in my Alfas with bypass hoses in their cooling systems. Nonetheless, the cars seem to operate just fine.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If you don't have that restriction in the hose you won't get the full hot water going through the thermostat and to the radiator. The idea is that when the thermostat is closed the pressure and water gpm will flow at a greater rate through that hose as that moves the restriction washer thus allowing more warm water to re circulate and help to heat the engine sooner because that hose goes directly to the water pump. When the thermostat opens. The hot water will travel through the path of least resistance and go to the radiator for cooling instead of that hose. You can just put a metered orifice with a 6mm ish hole and you still have something. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts