Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping out rad hoses, noticed old hose has what looks like some sort of flow restriction plug near the end but new hose from IAP doesn't have it. Can anyone shed some light on why it would be in the old hose? What's the purpose? Do I need to dig out and slip into the new hose before installing it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I am not sure of the technical reason why. But, yes, you need it. I just cut the old hose to get it out. I used a little dish detergent to lube it back in the new one. Not hard.

Make sure you install it in the same direction.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Ain't gunna sleep til I know why though, and I'm sure there is some good Italian engineering reason!
my understanding is it allows the engine to warm up quicker.

Most have been dumped when the hose was replaced in the past, as the mechanic replacing the hose never thought to question: "...now why does this particular hose have a funny bump in it....?"
;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ghnl, yep and I have read and seen this in the past but didn't recall.Thanks for the refresher reference. I try to go to faq before posting , I missed this one.

It's a somewhat of a bugger to get in if you're not removing fuel lines

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
I am not sure of the technical reason why. But, yes, you need it.
If you have a restrictor, you should definitely transfer it to the new hose. So gmilke is offering good advice here.

However, do you need the restrictor? Well, not really. Your Alfa won't overheat, fail to come up to temperature, or explode without it. As spiderserie4 commented, most of these parts got thrown out the first time the hoses were replaced. I'll bet the cars' owners never noticed the difference.

Even without the restrictor, the "two way thermostat + bypass hose system works awfully well. I have an Alfa with a screw-in thermostat and no bypass hose; that thing takes forever to warm up. On the other hand, my Alfas with the drop-in thermostat and bypass come up to temperature quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts