Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I hope all is doing well. I have an 85 Spider, and I would love to have some advice on how to replace the coolant by pass hose. It goes from the water pump to the bottom of the thermostat housing. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get to the clamp holdimg the hose to the thermostat housing. Im sure there has to be some trick. I really need to try to get it done tomorrow (well today now). I am disabled now and I tricked my brother into coming over Saturday, March 6th 2021 (in case someone sees this post way down the road..haha). He thinks we are having a big cook out, when in reality he is helping replace the hose and getting a bologna sandwich...kidding. We are having a big cook out, so if you are in the knoxville, TN area come on by.

I spent much more time on it trying to figure it out than I should have. So after learning a few new curse words and quenching my thirst with an alcoholic beverage (ok 2 alcoholic beverages), I finally decided to swallow my pride and ask you fine folks on this wonderful forumn on how to replace the hose without having to take the whole engine apart. I will gladly share one of my alcoholic beverages with anyone that may want to help a nice guy out (I mean me). Thank you. Have a blessed day and have fun in life.

·
Administrator
17,766 Posts
I don't recall that it was especially problematic. (but my recall ain't what it used to be...) Perhaps a PO put the clamp in a particularly odd & difficult position? A photo of the issue would help. If it is just that the clamp can't be accessed perhaps a cut off wheel in a Dremel type tool would 'fix' that. (Just be sure you have a replacement clamp first.)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Also, remember that there is a brass spring-loaded valve INSIDE the hose that must be removed from the old hose and installed correctly inside the new hose.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't recall that it was especially problematic. (but my recall ain't what it used to be...) Perhaps a PO put the clamp in a particularly odd & difficult position? A photo of the issue would help. If it is just that the clamp can't be accessed perhaps a cut off wheel in a Dremel type tool would 'fix' that. (Just be sure you have a replacement clamp first.)
Yes. That's what it was. I got ot off by removing several other things to get to it..lol. Whoever put it on, didnt put the clamp in the correct position. Thank you for the advice and help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts