Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member so please forgive me if I am not up to speed on technical terms. I purchase a 1969 1750 Spider 105.62.1481562 / Engine 00551-04238.
It is an interesting car since it has lots of original documents including import paper, correspondence with the factory, original sale invoice etc. The car is currently in terrible condition. However, the car is all there and very original. One of the items that I am attempting to sort our are the wheels. I believe that the car was delivered in Houston in 1970 with BWA wheels. I have posted a photo of the car with the wheels. Personally, I am not in love with the wheels. However, if there is something special about the wheels, I suspect that I should restore them and keep them with the car. If I restore the wheels, is it acceptable to do away with the black paint finish and have the wheels restored to a finish of the original flat silver/gray? I think I would like the wheels more if they were in the flat gray. What do you think?

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If the pattern follows the Momo and some other wheels of simular design, you've got the right parts blacked out, but the raw stuff should be polished.

Though I also sorta remember an advert/flier/pamphlet being posted by someone that showed a wheel sorta like that and it was polished on the machined spots and the low stuff was left raw and darker/duller with no paint.

I'm fairly certain those wheels appear in a thread or two in stock form, but digging it up might take a bit of work. Perhaps a parusal of the 'what wheels does your car have' and 'common wheel weights' threads down in the 'suspension' subsection of the forum will yield some results.

For a non~specific example, here's a pic of a stock Momo Vega from around the era:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the duetto register there is a photo of two spiders with the same BWA wheels. I am going to post another picture of my wheel with spider-webs. The pictures don't appear to reflect polished. How do the wheels look? Aesthetically and in terms of originality, would it be a mistake to go a flat - gray on the wheels? Or do I look for a set of normal Alfa wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Your wheels are cool, not the ones pictured in the other photos (Momo Vega), notice you have eight cut-out per wheel, the other wheels have six. They are very period, probably marketed by FAZA in the USA, do a search. The edges were not polished back in the day (early 70's) they may be the BWA pattern called "Cosmic"

PS - the color in your photo is right, not grey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rogerspeed, It is interesting the information about FAZA. Welcome to Faza, Fiat Abarth info
So maybe the original owner purchased the car with Alfa wheels and after the car arrived in the USA, he put the BWA wheels on. The car doesn't look funny with the BWA's (once they are correctly refinished)?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Aesthetically and in terms of originality, would it be a mistake to go a flat - gray on the wheels? Or do I look for a set of normal Alfa wheels?
It's your car and you can certainly refinish them in whatever way appeals to you. To answer your question though: yes, it would be a mistake aesthetically and in term of originality to refinish them in flat - gray. I think what most of the previous posts are saying is that the black with bare metal high points IS the original finish for these wheels - not a solid color.

Since it sounds like you have a restoration project ahead of you, I'd say live with them for a while and maybe you'll grow to like them. In the meantime, check some of the wheel threads for other wheels you might like better. You shouldn't have any problem selling these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bill, I do like Cromodora Wheels and the Mille Miglia wheels. I think the Mille Miglia wheels are interesting since they have the high/low areas but are all painted the same color. Since I am new at this with Alfa's, I am looking for input such as yours. As an example, I have an early 911-S porsche. When I purchase the car it had some early Speed-pilot controls. I was going to take them out. That would have been a huge mistake. Years later, it is one of the more interesting aspects of the car. I suspect, the BWA wheels may be something like that. It appears that the wheels are correct for the period. I think that they would look better if they didn't have the black on them however, when you restore something, I believe that it should be restored to original. If I really don't like the look, then it would be easier and less expensive to just go purchase a restored set of wheels. What I can't really get a good perspective on is if the BWA wheels look good or not? I think that RogerSpeed likes them and that is important! Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have some old FAZA catalogs if anyone needs some info.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When I bought my '86 Spider about 13 years ago, these wheels came on it. I have to say that they are the rarest, period correct(late '60s/early '70s) wheels I've seen. There's just something about them- they are still on the car and I prefer them like I got them, one color. Whether they originally came as yours, or was available single color like mine, is anyone's guess. Doesn't matter. Those wheels are the one thing I won't part with. I like them too much. I just wish I could two more of the original center cap emblems. I managed to trim just enough off the edge of modern emblems to fit the plastic caps that are pictured on the passenger side car. They came out pretty good I think. Yeah yeah, I know my nuts are rusty. And thankfully, they are the only rust found on the whole car. I'll take it!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Anthony,
You confirmed it! I think I can restore the wheels to one color. I'll go with it. They really look beautiful in the one color. I'm going to check on my centers since I believe they are there! I'll take pictures and post them later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Superflow,
Just wondering if you had a chance to look at the old FAZA catalogue's. How were the wheels finished/

·
Registered
837 Posts
Scarlatti: No not yet, they are currently being stored a my storage unit. It probably will be a least a week before I am out there.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've seen someone else with those centers that you have, but I haven't seen anyone with the ones like mine. I'd take a matching set of either, I suppose. Now I have two of each that match. I just keep them on the same side. ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Old FAZA Catalogs

Hi Superflow,
Just wondering if you had a chance to look at the old FAZA catalogue's. How were the wheels finished/
O.K., I got to my storage unit and pulled out all of the FAZA catalogs that I have, which consist mainly of separate sheets, and folders. There weren't any BWA wheels advertised, just a lot of Campagnolo, Abarth, and Daytona/OZ wheels. I also found a couple of Eighties International Auto Parts and Bayless catalogs. In the 1986/'87 IAP catalog there are three BWA wheels listed; The Sportstar a four spoke Campy-like wheel, the Sportsray, a BBS/Chaparral style mesh wheel, and a Minilite-like wheel made by BWA but marketed by GB wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Superflow,
Thanks for going to your warehouse and checking up on the BWA wheels. It is really amazing that you have the catalogues after all these years. I would never have thought to keep something like this pertaining to the wheels! I can hardly wait to get my car on the road but I doubt it will be during the summer of 2011.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Scarlatti, I tend to keep interesting things! There probably are some BWA ads in my old Road & Track magazines from the Sixties!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts