Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to aquire a set of BWA wheels as seen below. I'm a neophyte here and first have some questions. Then I would welcome any comments or suggestions. Markings indicate BWA, 6 x 14, and made in Italy. Prior owner has sprayed inside with can silver paint. They weigh 12.4 pounds.
Questions: 1. What does BWA stand for? 2. What metals are in the alloy? 3. Did they come painted, clearcoat, or in a polished metal finish? 4. What is their value post a proper refinish? 4. How would one best restore them to original condition?

I thank you for your advice in advance. Marshall

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Nice looking set of wheels you have there!

Off the top of my head here is what I know:

BWA = Benzoni Wheels Accessories (Milano, Italy) aka A. Benzoni & Co (Sons).

A family run business that I believe eventually moved their manufacturing operations to South America. Perhaps Argentina or Brazil? Not sure if they still make wheels as I'm not up on the latest 'going ons' with this firm.

Some models of BWA wheels came painted, others came with machine or 'natural'/ bare finishes. I am not sure what blend of alloy they used for casting.

Perhaps someone else on the board knows more about BWA?

HTH

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I just had mine stripped and powdercoated in a bright silver. Originally the recesses for the lugnuts are black but I didn't bother trying to replicate. The low points of the center caps should be bright red, believe it or not. I just sprayed the whole thing with some auto touch-up paint then sanded off the raised parts before the paint had completely cured. Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

These aren't super rare or valuable wheels, so I don't think you need to worry that much about restoring to correct original state. A really nice set might go for 500-600, a shabby set needing restoration for half that.

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Oh, and they did make these wheels in 4x108 (105/115 Spider, GTV, Super, Berlina) and 4x98 (Alfetta, Fiat) fitments. I believe the 4x108 are more in demand.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Those look nice Jason.
Thanks! It'll look better once I get the new 4.10 axle installed and can get rid of those ugly left hand thread lugnuts. Getting the other car ready for sale has kept me busy, but hopefully I'll get some time to work on the Super soon.

-Jason

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Really sweet BWAs Jason.

These are mine, though a different style from yours. I had these originally on my 2L Berlina and thereafter the 1750 GTV. I always liked them on both of these cars.

I will get them restored and probably put them back on the GTV rather than the Super, as I don't think the style possibly suits the Giulia.

From memory I paid $200-300 as is for them.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts