Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...i am new ...I just finished my 1.7ie 33 series 3 and there is buzzing noise coming from the fuel pump.Is that normal couse it buzzes when starting a car and while driving.I would be grateful if someone told me is that normal.

·
Registered
501 Posts
They all do that after a while... it is either on the way out, or just clogged up a little. Remove the pump and flush it though with clean fuel, then reinstall it with a filter between the pump and the tank.

I've been meaning to do this for ages on my series 3, but the lack of time is always an issue - I have a brand new rebuilt engine/gearbox sitting on the garage floor, but not the **** time to put it back in!

~Benjamin

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

The whining noise from the pump is due to the rollers and blades which actually suck fuel from the tank. Generally speaking this noise means the pump is nearing the end of its life.

Either one fine day the pump will not be able to deliver fuel (the electrical motor will not be able to run) or it will cease functioning when the motor gets hot enough. The last symptom is indicative when you have left the car sitting for a while and restarting the engine can be possible after some minutes when the pump cools down.

Hope this helps...

Regards

·
Registered
200 Posts
At least the fuel pump gives you plenty of notice when it is going to expire!

I replaced the unit on my 33 16V earlier this year when it started grumbling, from a supplier on EBay in the US who does just fuel pumps. Direct replacement, good quality, reasonable price and delivered to Australia within 7 days, and thankfully, before the old pump had stopped. I wouldnt trust the old one for too long though if you appreciate reliability. Some good buying out of the US at the moment with their dollar bouncing off long time lows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ...i"l try it..but the thing is that this pump is taken from a car with only 64000 miles on it and there was no buzzing...but when i replaced it the buzzing was here imideatly...sorry for my bad english...

·
Registered
200 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts