Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has purchased parts from a BB member who goes by pininfarina. I want to purchase a part he has but I just want to make sure I'm purchasing from a reputable person. If you would like to share your experiences you may post them as a PM or public.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Experience with Pininfarina

I still can't say one way or the other about purchasing from pininfarina, but my experience with him has been strange. I can send you copies of our emails, but I'll try to explain my experience. I was trying to purchase a part for around $300 USD. This isn't a lot of money, but it is a lot for me. He would only accept two methods of payment, Western Union or a money order. I tried to pay him using the Western Union on-line services. At the end of the process I was sent a message to call WU's 800 number to complete the transaction. When I called, the represestative from WU strongly advised me not to complete the transaction. They explained that both methods of payment this person chose are cash transactions and are untraceable once payment has been made. Since I do not know pininfarina and can find no information on him on the BB, I decided it would be most prudent to accept the advice and try another approach to purchase the merchandise. I emailed pininfarina explaining what had happened and explained I had posted to the BB a request for information from anyone who has had experience with this person. I told him if he checked out I would go back and approve the transaction with WU. I offered an alternative payment method, he could send the merchandise COD since he was using FedEx and that would work even better. His response was to cancel the deal and refuse to sell to me. I have my own opinion about this, but I thought I would share my experience with you so you could make up your own mind.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I too got a weird response in that he said he sold stuff on ebay under the name alfaholics??? But I couldn't find anything by alfaholics on ebay. Also, he doesn't have that many posts on the board.

Here is the PM to me:
pininfarina said:
kunzman said:
I'd be interested in purchasing one of the wooden mahogany brake handles.
Could you send me a picture of what you have for sale and price?
send me your email address,
the alfa spider wood brake handle is made of mohogany with alfa logo ,
you may have seen them on ebay before , under my ebay address alfaholics,
they match the nardi wood steering wheels,
$105 usd ,there custom made on the cnc to exact size as the original rubber handle,
i live in toronto canada, airmail is $10 usd,
if your still interested send your emaial address,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pininfarina may turn out just to be odd, but OK to deal with; but I'm not going to be the one to find out.

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Sounds way, way too hard to deal with.
I would not do it. I buy from only long time BB members if I buy. Sounds fishy to me as COD works just as easy but I would not want to find out.
What does he have that you could not find it elsewhere, from someone that is trustworthy and accepts whatever payment method you like.
I think most now have at least paypal.

Jason

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Absolutely do not deal with this seller in this fashion! If W.U. says beware it's a no-no! No protection for you, no deal!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If he saying he is Alfaholic on ebay out of Canada...well that then is Douglas McCurdy. He is nutty. But he is for real. He has been on the BB before under different screen names. I haven't heard of anyone not getting stuff purchased from him. This is the same guy who sells the wooden e-brake handles on ebay. But again....nutty.

Best Regards,
John M

A

·
0 Posts
paypal offers the seller no protection, delivery confirmation just means the carrier won't pay the seller the insurance. The payment methods chosen by this seller are in response to being ripped off by buyer's. His decision not to sell to the first poster may be his reaction to the typical Alfa problem buyer, demands for one or all of the following, payment, shipping or refunds other than the vendors stated policy. (try that with centerline!) This board has a habit of posting fraud alerts when no proof is provided and seller's have suffered as a result. This is another result of that irresponsible BS, seller's that will quickly cut off any buyer who seems a problem. having buyers file item not delivered and receiving a refund in spite of delivery confirmation. having buyer's "switch" items etc. These add up to real losses for seller's. MOST OF THESE SELLERS ARE REAL ALFA PEOPLE AND HAVE BEEN LONGER THAN MOST OF YOU. If you think his restrictions unresonable. I think they are quite mild. Why don't you consider some rules being applied to the "fraud" alerts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if this Douglass McCurdy sells parts legitimately then why wouldn't he wait until I could check him out? There are others around that are much easier to deal with and use much safer methods of payment. I really had no problem using WU other than their warning, but I do have a problem with the mans methods and manners. I too sell parts once in a while, but I have never had an issue with someone wanting to know more about me or wanting some references. For me, I'll look elsewhere for my parts. I just thought it best to share my experience with others so they know what to expect if they plan to deal with this person.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alfa of-corse

If you read the very first post above you will read nothing other than an inquiery as to the sellers legitimacy. There is no mention of any issues at all. The only thing that prompted the inquiery was the reaction of WU when I tried to pay for the merchandise using the sellers preferred method of payment. The sellers reaction of refusing to sell to me and stopping the sale makes no sense at all and your post makes no sense to me either. If you read the posts you will notice I tried to comply with the sellers wishes and it was WU that created the problem in the first place. All I tried to do was confirm the seller was a legitimate seller. How did this get to accusations of buyers defrauding sellers? In these days and times with internet deals worlds apart and parts that are sight-unseen, it serves a purpose to be prudent in ones transactions. Getting angry at someone who is doing exactly what he should be doing is hard for me to understand.

paypal offers the seller no protection, delivery confirmation just means the carrier won't pay the seller the insurance. The payment methods chosen by this seller are in response to being ripped off by buyer's. His decision not to sell to the first poster may be his reaction to the typical Alfa problem buyer, demands for one or all of the following, payment, shipping or refunds other than the vendors stated policy. (try that with centerline!) This board has a habit of posting fraud alerts when no proof is provided and seller's have suffered as a result. This is another result of that irresponsible BS, seller's that will quickly cut off any buyer who seems a problem. having buyers file item not delivered and receiving a refund in spite of delivery confirmation. having buyer's "switch" items etc. These add up to real losses for seller's. MOST OF THESE SELLERS ARE REAL ALFA PEOPLE AND HAVE BEEN LONGER THAN MOST OF YOU. If you think his restrictions unresonable. I think they are quite mild. Why don't you consider some rules being applied to the "fraud" alerts.

·
Registered
366 Posts
buying parts off bb

It is Douglas McCurdy. I just got the following email with pictures of the e-brake handle from [email protected]:

"HERE IS YOUR PICTURE , OF THE HANDLE ON ONE OF MY S4 SPIDERS. ,
AND ALSO THE SHIFTER HANDLE ,BOTH MATCH MOMO AND NARDI PREFECT,
IF YOU WANT IT LIGHTER OR DARK THATS FINE , OR WITH OR WITHOUT ALFA LOGO,

DOUGLAS"

So I think we are good guys, especially if someone has dealt with him before. Unless of course pininfarina is just claiming to be mccurdy and went through the trouble of taking out an email address with his name?

A

·
0 Posts
. I offered an alternative payment method, he could send the merchandise COD since he was using FedEx and that would work even better. His response was to cancel the deal and refuse to sell to me. I have my own opinion about this, but I thought I would share my experience with you so you could make up your own mind.
The seller, not the buyer sets the terms of sale including form of payment. The initial responses to your post where unfair to the vendor. and undeserved. He is repubtable, he is fair, and the only thing he has done wrong is not give you what you want. the 4 or 5 post prior to John M's and mine are an example of the BS I refered to and are a result of your posting. and the end result is that you will still have to find your part elsewhere, and Doug may have lost some future business because some members may take these post serious.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I never said anything regarding this particular seller, I said if Western Union suggested not to complete transaction, don't. I've bought a number of items from bb members and never had an issue but if the seller has terms of payment I don't agree with and they decide not to sell for that reason, so be it. Let me clarify again. I do not know the seller nor do I have an opinion on him but I still won't send money via Western Union.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
On this BB, go to the Alfa Romeo Club of Canada, Toronto Section. Look up the recent thread where a member is looking for Douglas. (there aren't a lot of threads in the Toronto section.
As a Seller on eBay he has changed his name several times.

No further comment, what I say above is on the record and public knowledge. I would not be surprised if you will see a name change to Bertone however.

Amen, Elio Comello

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alfa of-corse,

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that, "The seller, not the buyer sets the terms of sale including form of payment." A seller can set any terms they want, but if no one buys under the set terms I would bet money the seller will change the terms until he finds buyers willing to accept the terms. That sounds more like the buyer setting the terms and the seller is adapting to meet the terms of the buyer in order to sell their merchandise. I think they call this the free market. Also, I only suggested another venue for the transaction which was also the seller's decission to accept or reject. I also informed the seller I was attempting to verify their legitamacy as a reputable seller and if he checked out fine I was willing to complete the transaction using his preferred method of payment. You say,"...the only thing he has done wrong is not give you what you want."---I'm not sure what you thought I wanted, but rereading my posts I think it is reasonable I was only attempting to complete a purchase in a way that I, the buyer, felt safe in entering into. This is not an unreasonable request or expectation. In my opinion, it is an expectation and a sellers responsibility to make the buyer feel safe in completing a transaction over the internet or no one would ever complete a sale. So far as you stating, "The initial responses to your post where unfair to the vendor. and undeserved....the 4 or 5 post prior to John M's and mine are an example of the BS I refered to and are a result of your posting", I refer you to the amount of time given me by the seller to check him out and to complete the transaction. It took more than 24 hours before I ever received any input from the BB, John M's and yours, for me to find out whether this was a reputable seller or not, but it took less than that for the seller, not me, to cancel the sale and refuse to do business with me. I have emailed the seller letting him know that I received input from this BB that he was OK to deal with and I was still willing to complete the deal, but I have not received a response and it would not surprise me if I never received a response from the seller. The responses to my post are legitimate responses to the actions of the seller, not to my post. The people responding are only stating the terms of the seller are not acceptable to them and they are making a recommendation based on what they would do. How is that unfair to the seller. That is just the free market working the way it is meant to work. Reputations are made from people sharing their experiences dealing with someone. That is your opinion based on your dealings or knowledge of this seller and you are sharing this through this BB. You state the seller is reputable and I accept this at face value. If you were not willing to share your beliefs or experiences about this seller then how would we know if he is reputable or not. You could have shared your experiences dealing with this seller and let us decide if he is reputable. I only shared my experience dealing with this seller. I said nothing about his reputation. Others on this BB read about my experience and formed an opinion then shared it. Isn't that what builds ones reputation. It seems to me that Doug is building a reputation based on his actions which I only shared on this BB. I thought that is what this BB is about, is it not? How did I become the person to blame for someone elses reputation? I only shared my experience dealing with the person the same as you. Let the others make up their own minds. I have never said anything bad or good about the seller that I'm aware of.

The seller, not the buyer sets the terms of sale including form of payment. The initial responses to your post where unfair to the vendor. and undeserved. He is repubtable, he is fair, and the only thing he has done wrong is not give you what you want. the 4 or 5 post prior to John M's and mine are an example of the BS I refered to and are a result of your posting. and the end result is that you will still have to find your part elsewhere, and Doug may have lost some future business because some members may take these post serious.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
In the future, don't air someone's dirty laundry on this public forum. If you want to do it without using names, fine, but you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit for defamation of character. I suggest you ask the moderator to delete your thread asap. Those who've been here long enough know exactly what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.