Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 Spider Veloce has 15" rims which I put on in 2002. At that time, I also bought a set new of Bridgestone Potenza RE950 to go along with the new rims. I had decided to slightly oversize the tires, increasing the recommended size of P195/60R15 to P205/60R15. Since the rim/tire upgrade, I have only put about 12,300 miles +/- on the car (car now has 27K). I absolutely love the tires, i.e.; size, tread, sidewall, etc. They still look & perform amazing, and still look new, but they are not as they are 18 years old. Understanding that they should have been replaced a while ago, so I am looking for new ones for the spring, Unfortunately, most top manufacturers have dropped the P205/60P15's size from their performance line of tires, so I may have to go to the P195's which is fine and will have to live with it. There are no Bridgestone Potenza options available, so I am looking at the Firestone FireHawk AS. I think I have, no, I'm certain I have a slight case of OCD, and have looked at every possible option out there. I need to find the correct size, specs, tread, sidewall, etc. to allow me to sleep at night, and it would appear that the Firestone is in the lead.
Long explanation to a simple question; Does anyone own, or have an opinion on the Firestone FireHawk AS, of can recommend another tire in the P195/60R15 size that you have had success with?
Please let know, your opinions are welcome, and very much appreciated
Obsessed...
ACC

·
Registered
211 Posts
I opted for the less expensive Aspen (Sumitomo) tires at NTB. For me, the tires always age out before they wear out. I really like the ride with the Aspens.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
We put a set of Dunlop Direzza tires on our Lemons Milano in 15" size and I like them. They are now on my Berlina because we wanted something stickier on the race car. . Steering feel was better and lighter in a 205/50/15 than the cheap 185/70/14 they replaced.

I believe these are the tires. They have much better steering feel than all seasons because of the solid tread blocks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Why so hung up on sizes? You can run a Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R in 205/50/15. Your speedo will read about 5% high, but the size otherwise works great. Totally different universe performance wise from the other tires you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
13,719 Posts
Totally different universe performance wise from the other tires you are talking about.
That is true, they have outstanding grip but don't expect them to last very long. I wore out a set in under 2000 miles on my GTV6.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That is true, they have outstanding grip but don't expect them to last very long. I wore out a set in under 2000 miles on my GTV6.
They should last much longer in a spider due to the lighter weight. I had a set on a Miata that went 10,000 miles and 10 autocross weekends and still had a decent amount of tread left when I sold the car. The set for my Subaru (1,300lbs heavier) wears much quicker though I only put them on for autoX/track.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All,
Thanks for all of the responses so far, they all seem to be good options, but there is a lot to think about.

Nealric & Archeologist -Going with the Potenza RE-71R or the Dunlap Direzza would would mean going to a 50 sidewall in lieu of the 60...not out of the question, but I'm more of a 'stock' guy. I guess I may be hung up on tire size, but I'm looking into them as they both seem pretty sweet.

BMX - The Conti Premium Contact 6 are available in the US, but nowhere near any size that would fit the Spider.There are some good options available in the Continental line which I'll look into.

Coopp - The Aspen is a good looking tire, and may be an option, but it still needs to be researched a bit more.

Igbalf - Good luck on your search, hope you find what your looking for.

Again, thanks everyone for the input, it is much appreciated!

ACC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alfaparticle - Thanks for your input on tire wear on the Bridgestones, something to think about, but I only average about 600 - 700 miles a season

David993s - Nice S-4! What size are the Sumitomo's ? I blew up the picture, and it looked like they are P195/60/R16 (?) in stead of 15's. They look like a nice tire...it's always better seeing one on the car rather than on a web site.

Thanks...
ACC

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
All,
Thanks for all of the responses so far, they all seem to be good options, but there is a lot to think about.

Nealric & Archeologist -Going with the Potenza RE-71R or the Dunlap Direzza would would mean going to a 50 sidewall in lieu of the 60...not out of the question, but I'm more of a 'stock' guy. I guess I may be hung up on tire size, but I'm looking into them as they both seem pretty sweet.

BMX - The Conti Premium Contact 6 are available in the US, but nowhere near any size that would fit the Spider.There are some good options available in the Continental line which I'll look into.

Coopp - The Aspen is a good looking tire, and may be an option, but it still needs to be researched a bit more.

Igbalf - Good luck on your search, hope you find what your looking for.

Again, thanks everyone for the input, it is much appreciated!

ACC
I ended up getting the Nokian Entyre 2.0.

Not a popular tire but a nice one nonetheless.

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks

·
Harmon
48 Posts
My 1990 Spider Veloce has 15" rims which I put on in 2002. At that time, I also bought a set new of Bridgestone Potenza RE950 to go along with the new rims. I had decided to slightly oversize the tires, increasing the recommended size of P195/60R15 to P205/60R15. Since the rim/tire upgrade, I have only put about 12,300 miles +/- on the car (car now has 27K). I absolutely love the tires, i.e.; size, tread, sidewall, etc. They still look & perform amazing, and still look new, but they are not as they are 18 years old. Understanding that they should have been replaced a while ago, so I am looking for new ones for the spring, Unfortunately, most top manufacturers have dropped the P205/60P15's size from their performance line of tires, so I may have to go to the P195's which is fine and will have to live with it. There are no Bridgestone Potenza options available, so I am looking at the Firestone FireHawk AS. I think I have, no, I'm certain I have a slight case of OCD, and have looked at every possible option out there. I need to find the correct size, specs, tread, sidewall, etc. to allow me to sleep at night, and it would appear that the Firestone is in the lead.
Long explanation to a simple question; Does anyone own, or have an opinion on the Firestone FireHawk AS, of can recommend another tire in the P195/60R15 size that you have had success with?
Please let know, your opinions are welcome, and very much appreciated
Obsessed...
ACC
I have found 15" rims incur a restriction of selections, especially if you want stickies. I made a bit of a compromise and settled on 205/55 Yokohama Adven Flevas for my 64 Giulia spider. My driving is on the street only but I usually wear the tires out before they age out at five years.
harmon

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently put a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S on my GTV6. They have a V speed rating. They perform very well. Personally, and this is just me being silly, I didn’t want to put Asian tires on my classic Italian car. I have nothing, and I mean NOTHING against Asians, their tires, cars or any of their other products. In many cases their products are truly great. But ideally I wanted a Euro tire on my Euro car. I wish Pirelli still made a sport tire in the small (by today’s performance car standards) size to fit the GTV6 but, sorry, their P4 econo tire doesn’t cut it. Michelin doesn’t have anything either. Back in the day Goodyear was supplier to many Euro brands including Ferrari. Was also huge in sports car racing. And, they still make a performance tire that fits the GTV6. So that’s what I bought. For my performance needs I’m pleased to say they exceed my expectations with the added bonus of being historically/aesthetically appropriate.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,378 Posts
I have the Firestone FireHawk AS on a 1991 Spider in that size. They are not as sharp as a true summer performance tire but seem to work well in this application with good ride comfort and decent steering feel. I believe they are the best choice in that particular size at the moment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Over the years I have tried different tires on my 1986 Series 3. But I keep coming back to Michelin.
I have just send my rims away to be blasted and resprayed and they will be fitted with Michelin Energy Savers.

In all honesty, I am not particularly concerned about fuel efficiency or noise when it comes to my Spider. I get 1:10 l/km no matter what and I drive top down always, Sun, Rain, Snow, Hail, so tire noise is of no concern to me.

What is relevant is how well the tire performs on wet roads! Our Spiders do quite well on dry roads cornering. But cornering fast on wet roads, might get exciting! The other thing is comfort. Not that a huge thing, but I have found the Michelin also give me a nice subtle ride, more so than for instance the earlier Pirelli’s .

Jeroen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Over the years I have tried different tires on my 1986 Series 3. But I keep coming back to Michelin.
I have just send my rims away to be blasted and resprayed and they will be fitted with Michelin Energy Savers.

In all honesty, I am not particularly concerned about fuel efficiency or noise when it comes to my Spider. I get 1:10 l/km no matter what and I drive top down always, Sun, Rain, Snow, Hail, so tire noise is of no concern to me.

What is relevant is how well the tire performs on wet roads! Our Spiders do quite well on dry roads cornering. But cornering fast on wet roads, might get exciting! The other thing is comfort. Not that a huge thing, but I have found the Michelin also give me a nice subtle ride, more so than for instance the earlier Pirelli’s .

Jeroen
To each their own. Historically I have gone with Michelin on all my cars and motorcycles. On my BMW and Ducati’s I’ve loved Pilot Sports. My GTV6 had Michelin Energy tires installed by the previous owner. I hated them with a passion. All energy saving tires employ a hard compound for the obvious reason of low rolling resistance. To make up for the inevitable loss in traction they use a silica rubber compound. I have found these modern compromises do not play well on older cars. Wet weather traction was in effect non-existent with the Michelin Energy tires on my GTV6. The day I replaced them (and they were quite literally like brand-new) was a happy day for me. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts