Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which if I do some painting for the owner will only run me 400 bucks. Now here's what it needs:

New top-where can I get one and what will it cost?
Battery-sears 50 bucks
seats have sheepskins cause the vinyl needs replacing what will it cost to have that redone?

Also trans synchro is messed up for gear 5 what will that cost

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Which if I do some painting for the owner will only run me 400 bucks. Now here's what it needs:

New top-where can I get one and what will it cost?
Battery-sears 50 bucks
seats have sheepskins cause the vinyl needs replacing what will it cost to have that redone?

Also trans synchro is messed up for gear 5 what will that cost
I'm not sure where you would be having this work done, or if you plan to do any yourself, but here are some ballpark numbers that I would use if I were making a budget to have this done professionally.
$1000 - Using an Elektron canvas top which is less than $500, plus the rest is labor.
$85 - Battery. Not sure which model you are talking about, but the I do like Diehard and the ones that I get usually run more than $50, but last many years.
$400 - $1600 Seat kits are available from a variety of sources (Centerline, IAP, Re-originals, World Upholstery, etc.) and they all carry different qualities with prices according to the quality. However, the OEM seats for an '83 Spider were leather, not vinyl. (In '83 Alfa only produced one Spider model, the Spider Veloce, and all had leather seats.) If the color you are looking for is not unusual, you will be able to find a kit for a reasonable price. If that's not the case, as in the brown leather that was used in '83, you will only be able to get the correct leather kit from Re-originals or Alfaholics (both about $1200), or you could have it custom made.
$1000 - $2000 Disassembling the tranny costs more for labor than for parts. I would normally expect to spend about $400 in parts, but it is unusual for 5th to be a problem, so that doesn't give me a good feeling at all. You should also consider that getting to the tranny means that you are right there with the clutch, so it would be logical to replace the clutch at this time.

Best regards,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man very helpful. I could possibly do some of the labor myself (certainly the battery maybe the top who knows maybe even the seats)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Battery that SEARS cross references is too small for the car and has the + terminal in the wrong side (flip the battery and the terminal will be in the back.) NO need to go to sears anymore since just about everyone has good return policy. try wal-mart.

You don't have to do all the work at once. As you can tell from this board everyone is in various stages of "restoring" their cars. I had mine in perfect condition for about a year, then I bragged about it and....

These cars like to have 3 bad things with them. so what ever you fix leave the 3 bad things you can live with broken - trust me on this one, these cars are evil and somehow know when you are about to do to somehting them and punish you accordingly.

Keep costs low by doing things yourself.

·
Premium Member
13,450 Posts
My top was replaced professionally last year for about $700. It is canvas from Duetto Motors, but if I did it again I would buy from Topsonline.

My seats that came out of an 86 Veloce were a mixture of leather & vinyl. I had them recovered professionally in cloth for $200. Vinyl would have been the same price. My guy does not do leather.

I am currently having a transmission rebuilt by a renowned expert. The cost is likely to be around $900. I will replace it myself. It is not difficult if you are handy with wrenches and have decent tools.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I have to ask - how much is this painting job worth? If you are doing a $4600 painting job and then paying the guy $400 for the car you have just paid $5000 for the car. That could be too much for the work it needs. If you are doing a $500 paint job then paying $400 for the car you might be getting a good deal.

How does the car run? Any issues with overheating or coolant in the oil? That could be a blown head gasket.

How about body rust? Any rust in the sills/rockers is significant. The sills/rockers form the main structural strength of the unibody. The floorpans are also vital. Rust can be repaired but it is not cheap...

If you are willing to take your time the top can be replaced by a D-I-Y'er. But you'll find out why a pro charges ~$500 to install one.

The Alfa gearbox is known to have a problem with the 2nd gear synchro (probably because that one tends to get worked the hardest). It is hard to understand how a 5th gear synchro could go bad - it seems like that one would have the easiest job. Some folks have 'cured' a difficult to shift transmission by switching gear oils. Shell Spirax is touted as the best. And others prefer one of the RedLine gear oils.

If you proceed with the car note the link in my signature to a page about the L-jetronic system as used in the 82-89 Spiders.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! Car is free of rust and runs/starts great just the trans issue. As for the price I'll probably just pay 1000 cash but if I painted it'd take maybe a few hours (trim work)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Otaku said:
maybe even the seats
If you get new seat skins, it's actually remarkably simple to do yourself, provided you take your time and pay attention to whatever instructions you have. (oh, yeah, and only do one at a time so you can reference off the other)

I knocked out both of mine in a night on the kitchen floor, and I'd never done a set before in my life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts