Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking the forum...Is there a cheaper alternator than the $230 listed on IAP for my 89 Spider Veloce? What's best....? Looking for input from the best forum on the planet.

Thanks
Tony

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I get mine rebuilt for $130.00. Auto Electric Inc. Boyer Circle, Williston Vermont. Best score ever. They rebuilt everything I ever brought to them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the amperage that was on the stock factory alt? Didn't see any info on IAP or my workshop manual. My alfa completely stock, no woofers and disco sound system. There are mechanical? And solid state alts? Solid state seems better needs to fit exact though, anyone been down that road and thx for input

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Had to put in a GTV-6 Alternator in my Race Car cause of it's 750W sterio system. Kept blowing out the regulators. Believe it's 35 amps? The regulator in a GTV-6 can be replaced, and it's solid state BOSCH 1197311022-850 or 30 062

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
There are mechanical? And solid state alts? Solid state seems better needs to fit exact though, anyone been down that road and thx for input
All alternators are "solid state" (e.g., use diodes to rectify AC). But early Alfa alternators were paired with external voltage regulators that used coils & points; these are called "mechanical" regulators. Later Alfas had the voltage regulator inside alternator. These regulators substitute transistors for the coils & points, so they are called "solid state".

If you have an '89 Alfa, your car came with the later style (e.g., "solid state") system. So when you buy an alternator, you are getting an alternator + regulator. I'm not sure of the amperage capacity of these alternators, but it's > 35a; I'm guessing around 65a.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I used the local auto electrical rebuilder to rebuild both my starter and alternator. Unlike some local rebuilders who just fix whatever is wrong and then paint the unit black, the local rebuilder completely disassambles the units and replaces everything consumable in the unit. In the case of my alternator they replaced the bearings, brush pack, and voltage regulator with new Bosch parts, as well as testing the stator and field windings. For alternator bebuild, they do everything right before returing the as new looking unit to the owner. Memphis local rebuilder is ACC Rebuilders and the cost for an Alfa spider alternator rebuild was $128.00 in 2009. I am sure it would be a little higher today.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Buying alternator

The Bosch number for a reman alternator is AL16X. This part is readily available from Worldpac, a highly reputable supplier to automotive shops across America. Many other parts suppliers could probably sell these as well. This unit has a replaceable voltage regulater,and is bolt on 'plug & play'.

·
Registered
759 Posts
BNR Parts is an alternator/starter supplier. You can find them on ebay at: Alfa Romeo Bosch Alternator High Output 85 Amp 1967 80 Generator | eBay

BNR is a company that people love to hate. Do some research before deciding to use their products. My own experience has been positive, but I haven't bought all that much from them.
I also ave the 85amp from bnr and i had to have the brushes replaced right after the warranty went out. I took it to autozone they said it was toast and tried to sell me a new one I took it to my local rebuild alternator starter hole in the wall shop they tested it told me it was the brushes replaced them while I waited, about 10 min, and charged me 40 bucks. Still running well 2 years later. I love the higher amps i can run my heater fan, high beams and wipers and I'm still above 12 v !!!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Forgot to mention one good thing about a rebuild from BNR Parts: it comes with a new pulley, so there's no need to move the pulley from the old alternator.

For someone like me who doesn't have a impact wrench getting a rebuild with an attached pulley was a bonus. Of course, it could have been an opportunity to buy more tools!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts