Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I am somewhat new to this. About 1 1/2years ago I tried to trade my 911 for a Giulia. Didn't work out, but now I have sold another car and am getting ready to buy a Giulia.

I am in California. It seems like the market here in the US is very slim. So I started looking in Europe: Netherlands, Germany, and - guess what - Italy. There seem to be quite a few cars available in Italy. The prices are good - good enough to make up for the travel expenses and shipping. Well, maybe not quite, but I'd love to have the experience.
This is what I'd do: buy the car somewhere north of Rome. Drive it through the country and across the Alpes. Ship it from Bremerhaven/Northern Germany to the US. Import won't be an issue for me (have done a lot of research on this subject before).

Here are my questions for you:

1. I am thinking 1300 Super or 1600 and I am being honest here: It's the look I am going for: want those 4 lights in the front!

2. Has anyone ever bought a car in Italy? How do I deal with insurance, registration?

3. Are any of you Italy? Could you help me out with registering etc. in Italia?

4. What specifically should I look for / avoid with these cars (I have read up a little, but would like some tips from personal experience).

Thank you All!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,365 Posts
Can't speak to the Euro experience specifically, but in what to look for, the more complete and unmolested the better. A solid shell is the basis of a good car. Mechanicals are easy to fix compared to bodywork. Interior work comes in between in terms of complexity and cost. Beware shiny, just-restored cars, as they may be poor underneath, but experted prepped to look great for sale. It takes some time to see how paint and bodywork will hold up.
Some general inspection tips for Berlinas, which are all applicable to Giulias too, are here on the Berlina Register page. Berlina Register - Inspection Tips In essense, a good shell, complete trim, decent mechanicals. Trim, chrome, and original interior pieces are the hardest to find. Mechanical components are pretty much no problem but can run into money if you're not handy yourself.
Yes, the early four-light cars are thought by many to be the best looking, and the first series Super dash and seats cannot be beat.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,044 Posts
Haven't bought in Italy, yet. But have bought three in Europe. One on the water now, two in the garage. Took Euro trips in two of them, see links in my signature block. E-mail for specifics. There are several posts on this topic but hard to find as they are buried elsewhere. I have been led to believe that getting foreign registration in much of Europe can be difficult if not impossible. A fellow in our local club looked into it (Alfamante) for Italy. One significant piece of advice - get it inspected by a competent and trusted person. Good luck!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the good links, leads, and comments so far! I have also learned from an Italian friend that driving the car in Italy might be hard to impossible. Apparently a German dealer license plate could help - why not a Californian Dealer Plate ? That'd be even nicer.

A drive through the Alpes would be just perfect!

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Super in Italy

We have a doctor friend in Saronna, who has been very kind and helpful. He made arrangements for us to see the Alfa Museum a couple of years ago.
I'll put you in contact, if you're serious about finding a car.
KG

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thx for the good links, leads, and comments so far! I have also learned from an Italian friend that driving the car in Italy might be hard to impossible. Apparently a German dealer license plate could help - why not a Californian Dealer Plate ? That'd be even nicer.

A drive through the Alpes would be just perfect!
This one is in Anaheim, CA. I've seen it many times, and IMHO it's the one to have:

Seller Submission: 1970 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 S For Sale

2-owner, timewarp car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Super in Cal.

Before I contact our friend in Italy, I was going to suggest the one in Cal. It's the same one that everyone else has recommended to you. Hope it works out, although the pictures of Italy look like fun also.
KG

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the pleasure to meet Randy today and check out his car. Not only did I get a very valuable lesson re. technicals and history of these unique Alfas from a great enthusiast, I also saw his beautiful 1970 Giulia S (among other amazing cars).

With the education I am getting here, my preferences are shaping. As to the model, I am leaning towards an earlier 1600 Super, Series 1 or Series 2.

Aesthetically I like them all, but would really like to find one with a more unusual color. The color in the first 2 pics of this thread (metallic green and gray) are great, but so is silver, light blue, brown, "police green", darker beiges and many more (actually is there a color chart of all the available options for given years?).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I had the pleasure to meet Randy today and check out his car. Not only did I get a very valuable lesson re. technicals and history of these unique Alfas from a great enthusiast, I also saw his beautiful 1970 Giulia S (among other amazing cars).

With the education I am getting here, my preferences are shaping. As to the model, I am leaning towards an earlier 1600 Super, Series 1 or Series 2.

Aesthetically I like them all, but would really like to find one with a more unusual color. The color in the first 2 pics of this thread (metallic green and gray) are great, but so is silver, light blue, brown, "police green", darker beiges and many more (actually is there a color chart of all the available options for given years?).
Wow. You didn't think British Green is an "unusual" color for a 1970 Italian car (1 of 2212 built that has recently won multiple awards)? Careful that you don't put color above structural integrity,etc. If you decide to shop in Europe you will have more options but need to go there and/or have a reputable liaison. Here in the US it is slim pickings (understatement of the decade).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wow. You didn't think British Green is an "unusual" color for a 1970 Italian car (1 of 2212 built that has recently won multiple awards)? Careful that you don't put color above structural integrity,etc. If you decide to shop in Europe you will have more options but need to go there and/or have a reputable liaison. Here in the US it is slim pickings (understatement of the decade).
Yeah, I was thinking of calling the B.S. card on that... You want a car- this one is near perfect, award winner and the turn off is you want an unusual color?? This one is an off color for sure, so instead, you want to try shopping in Europe and have someone you don't know help you? Just sounds like "tire kicking 101", but I could be wrong....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I know of an excellent , that is 100% rosso amaranto Giulia 1300 Super from 1972 for sale here, mechanically very very good (just had expensive major service) . Have to say I haven't seen a body as good as that one in years. Can send you pics by mail. Priced accordingly, but a driver right out of the box, needs nothing, italian paperwork, can be shipped no problem.
People want a 1600 or even a modded 2.0 here instead of a 1300 so not too expensive.
you can always mail me at rikzuurbier at gmail.com.
Give my regards to Randy btw.
Best,
Rik

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I can recomend Rik as a highly respected member of the Dutch Alfa comunity !
The guy really knows his stuff !
Randy

Rik, it was a pleasure seeing you again at the Sportivo event !

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Oh, I also have to say that it was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife today.
Lots of fun talking about mid-century modern houses and old Alfas !
Don't wory what others say.....
you will know the right car when you see it. Get the one that makes you smile everytime you drive her !

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Randy,

My brother is working in NYC right now but will soon be running an office from advertisement firm Dentsu in LA end of this year. Probably be doing some Alfa related stuff from here to there as I will have a great contact. I'm also setting up a vacation trip in that direction of course.
Rik

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm just back from Europe (Netherlands/Italy) where I purchased my second Super and like Anfanuts, my car is on a ship heading to the USA. In total I've sent home 5 cars from Holland and normally use them to attend the fantastic Dutch club events. I'm not an expert and I'm sure others will have better advice - but here is mine:

Issue one: Registering and insuring the car can only be done by a legal resident. I've had a dutch friend put them in their name. This is a tricky proposition as the person it's registered to is liable for all tickets and accidents.

Issue two: Finding a car. Usually I scour the web for months before I go and try to have as many cars to personally see as possible. After picking the car and making the deal, bring the car to a trusted mechanic for a going over and expect to have some work done to make the car usable for your Euro adventure.

Issue three: Shipping. After doing it 5 times out of Holland it is quite easy now. If you choose to ship from the Netherlands (or Zeebrugge) let me know and I can give you the contacts you need.

As for years and tipo; The 1300 versions are the best deal right now. 1600 versions are much harder to find. The absolute best deal is the Nuova (although I do not like them).
The early cars are better made and a bit more luxurious, the later cars are better mechanically - both are great.

Color: I like them all (save for red) and all of them are rare in the USA!

Payment: Right now the Euro is quite high, so keep the conversation rate and any extra charges in mind. Set up an on-line bank to bank wire system before you go so you can pay the seller (unless you are planing to bring over a bag of cash)

Good luck - and keep the Netherlands at the top of your hunting list. Cars there are a little more expensive but the Dutch speak English very well and have a good selection of cars (although it's dwindling.... :p )

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bruce, your adventures are inspiring! Thx for all these tips. If I end up buying in Holland, and it seems like a good market, I will ask for the shipper's contact.

I had a thought on how to drive a car there. Germany wouldn't be a problem - I have friends that would register the car under their name for me and who I'd feel comfortable to ask.
But Italy is still tempting though. Good food, nice language/culture, and great roads. Since upon purchase you have to return plates and the registration is void, the question is how you can get legal plates for the car. I know that German dealer plates would do the trick. Well, I am not that connected. But I don't see why American plates wouldn't do the trick. And, it might not have to be a dealer plate! Some states, as some of you might now, issue temporary plates online! I assume those are for purpose of transfer of a newly purchased vehicle. I think AZ does so. Insurance is no issue, as my company insures every new purchase of a collector car for 30 day without notice - as it states clearly in the policy.
I see no reason why that wouldn't work from Italy other than being pulled over 4 times a day due to having a flimsy paper plate from AZ :eek:
Obviously this needs more research.

BTW - when I stated "unusual" color before, I meant colors that were unusual to me. I have no idea about the production frequency of certain colors obviously. When I browse the web for Giulias, I see lot's of colors I have never seen in person. A lot of times these colors, like metallic green, appear pleasantly vintage to me. And gray-red or silver-red combos I have always liked.
Also, a show winner is just too nice of a car for me as tempting as it is!

Thanks again for all the good input and support!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Your first step is finding a car. Fortunately, there are several good websites that almost always have a good selection of Supers and Ti's avaliable. Two that I used when searching for my super were Markplaats.com and Autoscout24.nl.

Currently, there's a good example of a decent appearing Super advertised on Autoscout24.nl (see below). I include this because the owner has made an effort to fairly present his car. First, there are a number of good photos. Generally, I avoid cars with fuzzy, cell-phone photos taken at night under a street lamp (go figure :)). The very best photo presentations will show the car's vulnerable areas, i.e., rockers, door bottoms, trunk area metal.
This car falls in the middle. The photos are generally decent, and, in particular, the owner photographs the trunk area's metal (no rust there, a good sign). Photos won't tell you everything about a car, of course, but they are a good start and, if you learn to decipher what you're looking at, can help you avoid what my friend Roland/Giulia Blanca calls "shiny junk".

Alfa Romeo, Giulia, 13 SUPER (2.0) auto te koop - AutoScout24

1 - 20 of 69 Posts