Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a QV and wonder if you could buy a front wheel as a spare and would it work as a rear tire? I know that the rear tire is larger and would a front tire damage the differential. I do not like to drive a car without a spare tire.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Rolling circumference of the tires should be virtually the same. Staggered tire sizes are pretty much a cosmetic feature on a road car. The main issues will be making space for the spare wheel, the jack and the wheel brace. Also, in common with misnamed "space saver" spare tires you need to find a space in the trunk to carry your larger rear wheel with the flat tire to get repaired or a new tire fitted.

Finally, statistically speaking, you are unlikely to ever need to use that spare tire. Tires have a maximum safe service life of ten years. After 5 years any tire becomes marginal for safe road use.

In the 50 years I have been driving I have never once needed to change a flat tire using a spare. Not once. That's over 500,000 miles. I have not ever fitted a space saver spare. Mind you, I have full sets of mounted winter tires for every car I've owned. I've only ever experienced a slow leak and very occasionally had to fit a snow tire temporarily to get the flat tire to a repair shop, or vice versa of course. This was done in my heated garage, usually. More usually I simply overinflated the leaking tire enough to drive to the tire repair shop. Just use a cell phone rather than a spare tire, cheaper, safer and easier.

Before you go to all the trouble of figuring out how to carry a spare tire you should think about the nature of the risk you are guarding against. Besides, for the first four years or so your car will already be fitted with factory issue runflats.

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
I am thinking about purchasing a QV and wonder if you could buy a front wheel as a spare and would it work as a rear tire? I know that the rear tire is larger and would a front tire damage the differential. I do not like to drive a car without a spare tire.
You can. I have a 19X8 spare here with a tire on it. It's a lot of weight to add to the trunk on a daily basis though. Plus as mentioned, no trunk space at all. I can offer the flat tire kit. I suppose at the end of the day though, I have not had a flat in over 28 years. I have had 1 flat in the 30+ years of driving. The time I did I was doing 125mph on a toll highway in Mexico, the tire survived nicely as I came to a stop. That was in the 1990's and tire technology has changed greatly since. But if you feel better having one, I suggest buying a 19X8. Let me know? I can help otherwise don't worry about, I can supply the factory tire repair kit.

Pirelli Corsa are not runflats btw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts