Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

It's time for me to buy an Alfa, and I saw a very cheap 164 V6 turbo for less than 1800 euros, and I'll give it a look this week. I'll probably buy it, because it looks really good, it has 170k Km, and the seller assures me that it is mechanically very good, except for the clutch.

The only problem: it's green. I don't have anything against green cars, I just prefer red in an Alfa, so it will be resprayed.

I was thinking maybe of making it look a bit more agressive, so I thought of getting the front and rear lip spoiler and the side skirts from the QV.
Anyone knows where I can get those without spending a fortune?

·
Premium Member
27,458 Posts
Need we say once again not so fast with boy racer external mods or color changes.

Get to know the car's mechanical condition before you buy and if you have to replace the clutch you have a learning curve ahead of you.

Then once you know it is a keeper and dependable driver you can change the color.

I still rag my bud who insisted on painting his green 164 gold, now he needs another paint job as the clear coat came off his new paint job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need we say once again not so fast with boy racer external mods or color changes.

Get to know the car's mechanical condition before you buy and if you have to replace the clutch you have a learning curve ahead of you.

Then once you know it is a keeper and dependable driver you can change the color.

I still rag my bud who insisted on painting his green 164 gold, now he needs another paint job as the clear coat came off his new paint job.
Hi. Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I do intend to sort everything mechanically before touching the outside of the car. Luckily, my girlfriend's father is a mechanic with a fairly decent garage for me to work on, and he'll help me out on weekends to get the car running good. This is also my opportunity to actually learn something about mechanics.

As for the respray, it would have to be done by a professional, otherwise I'll end up making a mess of it.

The idea is to have a good looking, good performing car that will be used mostly on classic rallies, and on the weekends (for the daily ride I'll use something a bit more economical).

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
You'll surely learn some mechanics...and also how to spend money:)
Good luck with your learning curve.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Hi everyone.

It's time for me to buy an Alfa, and I saw a very cheap 164 V6 turbo for less than 1800 euros, and I'll give it a look this week. I'll probably buy it, because it looks really good, it has 170k Km, and the seller assures me that it is mechanically very good, except for the clutch.

The only problem: it's green. I don't have anything against green cars, I just prefer red in an Alfa, so it will be resprayed.

I was thinking maybe of making it look a bit more agressive, so I thought of getting the front and rear lip spoiler and the side skirts from the QV.
Anyone knows where I can get those without spending a fortune?

Spend your money first and foremost having the car checked by a certified alfa mechanic.
Green is a great color actually. Red may be more flashy but there are not a lot of Greens, so IMO you have something even more special than a red 164.
If you do the QV skirts all around, I think it would look great in green.
Dont change the color, waste of money and the car will be ruined. Plus you will get more tickets! haha
I can probably get the kit for you but it may take me a bit to get the front and rear and you may need to buy the bumpers to get them.

My thoughts on the QV thing are good, if the green monochromatic paint the cladding the proper QV color and finish (matte) and it would look awesome in Green.

As far as doing any mods. Forget cone air intakes and all that. Suspension like Koni and B+G are great, 17" wheels max. I would go with 16" on a turbo.
I have a turbo chip which will boost the HP/Tq.
But like I said get the car checked and make sure it is sound before dumping too much money into it. Forget the paint. Use that for maintenance!!!

Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spend your money first and foremost having the car checked by a certified alfa mechanic.
Green is a great color actually. Red may be more flashy but there are not a lot of Greens, so IMO you have something even more special than a red 164.
If you do the QV skirts all around, I think it would look great in green.
Dont change the color, waste of money and the car will be ruined. Plus you will get more tickets! haha
I can probably get the kit for you but it may take me a bit to get the front and rear and you may need to buy the bumpers to get them.

My thoughts on the QV thing are good, if the green monochromatic paint the cladding the proper QV color and finish (matte) and it would look awesome in Green.

As far as doing any mods. Forget cone air intakes and all that. Suspension like Koni and B+G are great, 17" wheels max. I would go with 16" on a turbo.
I have a turbo chip which will boost the HP/Tq.
But like I said get the car checked and make sure it is sound before dumping too much money into it. Forget the paint. Use that for maintenance!!!

Jason
That's actually a very good point, and to be honest, I haven't seen the car in the flesh (only a couple of poor taken photos), and I might even like the colour. Next Thursday I'll visit the seller. If the car feels right, I'll buy it.

Thanks for the advice ;)

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
That's actually a very good point, and to be honest, I haven't seen the car in the flesh (only a couple of poor taken photos), and I might even like the colour. Next Thursday I'll visit the seller. If the car feels right, I'll buy it.

Thanks for the advice ;)
Good luck. Great car and engine. If all is good with it, it should be a fun car.

Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This morning, I travelled 200Km to see the car's seller. It was in the middle of nowhere, and it was being run by a very young guy that looked like a douchebag.

When I arrived, I saw the car on the outside, and it looked fairly god. It was nice and straight, and apart from some damage in the front passenger's door as a result of a previous robbing attempt, and some small dents, it all looked very good. The brake disks however looked very worn and were covered in rust, which meant the car had been standing there for a few months.

We got inside the car, and the dash was acceptable, only missing the radio lid, and the radio itself. The leather seats also looked good, with a few cracks, but no tearing or cigarette burns.

We opened the bonnet and the boot lid to see if there was any previous accident damage, but everything was fine.

The car was looking to be quite a find.

We asked the dealer to start the engine, and because the battery was flat, he got a battery booster, and the engine started at the first attempt, however, it was a bitter-sweet feel, because the engine sounded like a 3 cylinder diesel. One of the cylinders was flooded (which was latter confirmed by the seller), and it sounded like it was banging on the valves or something, and the head gasket was gone as well.

We let it warm up for about 5 minutes, and during that time we noticed both exhaust manifolds were filled with holes, the turbo warning light was on, there was no pressure on the turbo, the odometer had been tampered with, and thermostat was dead.

We hit the gas for a bit, and the engine sounded even worst, again with no sound from the turbo, and with misfires.

Also the clutch was knackered. The pedal had no pressure, and when it finally had a tiny bit of pressure, the gears were scratching.

Before I left, I saw the seal with the date of the last inspection (the Portuguese equivalent to the British MOT)... it was in 2006, so in the worst case scenario, the car had been standing there for 5 years. The owner had assured me over the phone that the engine was in perfect condition, so I went there expecting bad body work, and problems with the suspension, and most likely electrics. As it turned out, the electrics were all fine (even the air conditioning stepper motor), so was the suspension and the body.

The seller even went on saying that was the sound of a Alfa V6, and that all Alfas had misfiring problems, and that he drove it a lot, and nothing was wrong with it. It was pretty clear the seller bought it in a fairly good condition, and drove the pants out of it until he got bored. He then left it for sale, and of course, no one bought it. While standing in the parking lot, it got vandalized (therefore, no radio)

In the end, I had to leave it behind. There was no way that car would have survived the back journey home, and most likely, it will die in that sellers parking lot, because no one will buy it in that state.

It was a true pity, because I really liked the car, but an engine rebuild (or swap), clutch, possibly gearbox, and so forth was far beyond my budget.

I still feel a bit sad over that car, and specially, that engine. The only other car that I saw for sale was twice the price, which is again, out of my budget. I guess I'll have to start with something a bit cheaper, and maybe some day, I can own a good Alfa V6.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advices ;)

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
This morning, I travelled 200Km to see the car's seller. It was in the middle of nowhere, and it was being run by a very young guy that looked like a douchebag.

When I arrived, I saw the car on the outside, and it looked fairly god. It was nice and straight, and apart from some damage in the front passenger's door as a result of a previous robbing attempt, and some small dents, it all looked very good. The brake disks however looked very worn and were covered in rust, which meant the car had been standing there for a few months.

We got inside the car, and the dash was acceptable, only missing the radio lid, and the radio itself. The leather seats also looked good, with a few cracks, but no tearing or cigarette burns.

We opened the bonnet and the boot lid to see if there was any previous accident damage, but everything was fine.

The car was looking to be quite a find.

We asked the dealer to start the engine, and because the battery was flat, he got a battery booster, and the engine started at the first attempt, however, it was a bitter-sweet feel, because the engine sounded like a 3 cylinder diesel. One of the cylinders was flooded (which was latter confirmed by the seller), and it sounded like it was banging on the valves or something, and the head gasket was gone as well.

We let it warm up for about 5 minutes, and during that time we noticed both exhaust manifolds were filled with holes, the turbo warning light was on, there was no pressure on the turbo, the odometer had been tampered with, and thermostat was dead.

We hit the gas for a bit, and the engine sounded even worst, again with no sound from the turbo, and with misfires.

Also the clutch was knackered. The pedal had no pressure, and when it finally had a tiny bit of pressure, the gears were scratching.

Before I left, I saw the seal with the date of the last inspection (the Portuguese equivalent to the British MOT)... it was in 2006, so in the worst case scenario, the car had been standing there for 5 years. The owner had assured me over the phone that the engine was in perfect condition, so I went there expecting bad body work, and problems with the suspension, and most likely electrics. As it turned out, the electrics were all fine (even the air conditioning stepper motor), so was the suspension and the body.

The seller even went on saying that was the sound of a Alfa V6, and that all Alfas had misfiring problems, and that he drove it a lot, and nothing was wrong with it. It was pretty clear the seller bought it in a fairly good condition, and drove the pants out of it until he got bored. He then left it for sale, and of course, no one bought it. While standing in the parking lot, it got vandalized (therefore, no radio)

In the end, I had to leave it behind. There was no way that car would have survived the back journey home, and most likely, it will die in that sellers parking lot, because no one will buy it in that state.

It was a true pity, because I really liked the car, but an engine rebuild (or swap), clutch, possibly gearbox, and so forth was far beyond my budget.

I still feel a bit sad over that car, and specially, that engine. The only other car that I saw for sale was twice the price, which is again, out of my budget. I guess I'll have to start with something a bit cheaper, and maybe some day, I can own a good Alfa V6.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advices ;)
Keep looking. I suspected this was going to be the case by what you told me.
Bad pictures and all this work yada yada yada. Yeah right. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep looking. I suspected this was going to be the case by what you told me.
Bad pictures and all this work yada yada yada. Yeah right. ;)
Well there's always a tiny bit of hope that a dealer has absolutely no idea of how good a certain car is, and considering how rare the 164 is in Portugal, I was kind of hoping this was one of those dealers.

Searching a bit more, I saw what appeared to be a good example of the car, but the asking price is over twice as much as the last one, and for that I would have to nag my bank manager for a loan. Right now I'm considering other options in the Alfa range, but for some reason, I just keep searching for V6 powered 164s :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts