Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who that has an '84 spider veloce, that I've been trying to talk into selling me for years. He finally has agreed to sell it to me but I have no idea what to offer him for it.( We are close friends so he asked me to make him an offer.) the car has been sitting for about 6 years in a garage, right now it doesn't start but he said he will get it running before he hands it over to me. It has 75k miles and has a worn out interior with ripped seats and worn carpet. It is rusted in all the usually places and the rubber spoiler is torn. It includes a hardtop and the ragtop is in good shape. What would a fair price? I am fully aware that this car will be a lot of work and money but I have been wanting Alfa for several years and now finally able to afford one.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
It's hard to say without pictures, but "rusted in all the usual places" is a sign that there is a lot of money still to be spent on the car. If the rocker panels is one of those "usual places," I'd look for another. If it runs okay, it is probably worth at least $1,500 (maybe more).

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have a friend who that has an '84 spider veloce, that I've been trying to talk into selling me for years. He finally has agreed to sell it to me but I have no idea what to offer him for it.( We are close friends so he asked me to make him an offer.) the car has been sitting for about 6 years in a garage, right now it doesn't start but he said he will get it running before he hands it over to me. It has 75k miles and has a worn out interior with ripped seats and worn carpet. It is rusted in all the usually places and the rubber spoiler is torn. It includes a hardtop and the ragtop is in good shape. What would a fair price? I am fully aware that this car will be a lot of work and money but I have been wanting Alfa for several years and now finally able to afford one.
A good running clean Series 3 is about $5k. Running and driving can have different connotations. Running can be an engine barely turning over and dying if attempts are made to drive the car. Car sitting for a long time can have dried out valve seals, stuck thermostat, dry rotted hoses. Check for smoke and oil in the coolant. The usual places for Spiders (and rest of Alfas) to rust is in the rockers, floors and spare tire well. If those are seriously rusted through but the mechanicals are ok, with all the other work required $1500 would be tops offset by the hardtop being included in the deal.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,408 Posts
Oh dear. That's pretty bad rust.

Run away from this one.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
IMO, thats a parts car

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not concerned with cost of fixing rust, because a buddy of mine will do the work at cost of materials. Before he parked It is in great shape mechanically, underneath the car the was no oil leaks or and the engine was relatively clean. I will let you guys know what happens when we start it up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you are basing what you want to pay your buddy on market value, then unfortunately for him, this is a parts car and worth less than $500 imho.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The rust you see is a fraction of the rust you'll find once you begin working on it. If your buddy is an expert fabricator with significant experience in unit body repair, then maybe this will be a good project. Otherwise, consider finding a body with less rust. This one will likely require a huge amount of work to properly repair based on the sill pictures. Good luck.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,408 Posts
Your call. But considering you can probably buy a nice '83 Spider for about $5K, pretty sure it doesn't make sense to do sills, rust, paint, interior, and everything else this one's going to need.

If you really want to buy it, $500 sounds about right to me as well.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Well, you did mention theres a hard top included in the deal. If the top good condition maybe the car be worth another $500 on top of the car itself or just buy the top and find yourself a clean ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you'll end up at least $8k deep in this car, and spend at least year making it driveable and presentable. You can't put the $1500 car into the condition of the $5-6k cars for anything approaching the difference in price. If I were looking for one I think a realistic goal is to find something that's rust free, runs and shifts well, and needs a top, interior, and paint, and spend $5k. Putting money into a car that needs major rust repair is a bad idea. In the Ferrari world we call it "polishing a t##d", and it's no different with Alfas, just fewer digits on the work orders.

Of course a $1500 basket case Duetto is a different story!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go slow

I just bought a really "nice" 1983 Spider that was "completely finished". I have so far spent about $2009 on getting it fully sorted. This was expected and I still have a ways to go. These things are not easy to work on and require some expeience. It is easy to break more than you are fixing. Good Luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts