Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

AROSC will be holding our next track event at Buttonwillow May 14-15. We will be running our new TT groups - HPDE/Solo, Point-by, and Open Passing. On the racing side we will have our normal race sessions with a "fun" race on Saturday, and a points race on Sunday. Saturday afternoon we will have our annual 2 hour Enduro, so there will be something for every level of driver.

Track configuration will be #13. Have not decided on the direction yet. Any votes?

Registration is now open for the above event at MotorsportReg.com : AROSC Hi Performance Driving Events announces AROSC HPDE, TT, Race, Enduro Weekend (Sat 14 - Sun 15 May, 2011) info at Buttonwillow Raceway, Buttonwillow, CA 93206 (8864)

The weather should not yet be too hot, so come on out for a great weekend!

·
Registered
271 Posts
While AROSC has had bad luck CCW the reality is that cars are lost in both directions. Drivers just need to be aware to let cars go at sunrise and sunset instead of trying to save them. The problem is the walls when the cars hook up. I vote for running CW saturday CCW sunday. But if the powers that be say no CCW lets have Sunday at least be a different configuration.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The tire rules are limiting a lot of cars from point-by group. The tire rules indicated that a car with tire of tread wear less than 200 is considered "modified" and require harnesses.

Many new sports cars now come from the factor with tire with treadwear rating of 140. Is the intention of this rule to intentionally excluded cars such as a stock unmodified BMW, Miata, Lexus, Subaru, etc from point-by group.

We want to bring a stock Mazda Miata and run in 2 different run groups, Solo and point-by. The stock tires are 140 treadwear rating.

I don't think stock tires should classify a car as modified.:)

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like a convertible with stock rollbars can't run in Point-by group either.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have been attempting to relax our safety requirements, but still keep drivers safe. Newer cars have better restraint systems, crash protection, air bags, etc. Thus we have relaxed the harness rules.

Roll bars are another issue. I personally have seen 4 rollovers at track events. None were open cars fortunately. 3 of the 4 were beginners who made a driving error. The drivers were bruised up and a few scratches, but were okay. The 4th was a mechanical problem in turn 8 at Willow, which could have been really nasty, but the driver was skilled and damage was minimal. This was all in the days when we required 5 point harnesses. Have not seen a rollover with a factory 3 point belt, and I really don't want to!

The tire rules are there because street tires will keep beginners out of trouble. If you are into sticky tires, improved handling, more horsepower, etc, you really should invest $100-200 in a 5 point harness set up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The tire rules are there because street tires will keep beginners out of trouble. If you are into sticky tires, improved handling, more horsepower, etc, you really should invest $100-200 in a 5 point harness set up.
I agree about not using R-compound. However R-comps have tread wear of 100 of less.

I am questioning AROSCs definition of a "street tire" having a tread wear rating of 200 or higher.

A 140 or 180 tread wear rated tires are street tires. That's what comes on many cars from the factory. Even an automatic 4 door Toyota can come with 140 treadwear tires, specially in California.

I can pretty much guarantee someone will mistakenly sign up for Point-by group not realizing their street tires are not considered street tires by AROSC. I almost did.:D There is nothing on the online registration about this. I had to read the tech sheet closely to verify. I don't usually read the tech sheet until I get to the event.:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
What does the Saturday enduro day look like?

All groups have practice?
There is still a sprint race?
Then there is an Enduro race? Or does the enduro race go in place of the regular saturday race?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We don't have the schedule laid out yet. In rough terms, I can tell you this:
We will have the drivers meeting at 7:30 AM, track hot a 8 AM. We will have 4 run groups (3 TT, 1 Race) and will have our normal rotation through the groups every 25 - 30 minutes. I expect 4 sessions for each group on Saturday between 8 AM and 4 PM, with approximately an hour for lunch break. Enduro should start promptly at 4 PM (gridding around 3:30 PM). Enduro ends at 6 PM.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the rules are getting confusing... is that also going to cause a complete re-classification of cars too? I too would like to bring other cars to the track that does not have 5pts, but are you saying I cannot run in the point by group if my stock tires are like 140 or 180 thread wear, unless I have 5pts? Is the transponder use still the same?

confused...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We are trying to make it easier for people to run in some TT groups without having a 5 point harness set-up. We used to require harnesses on ALL cars in ALL run groups. We have now relaxed that requirement.

If your car is year 2000 or newer (i.e., safer), you can run in Solo & Point-by with just factory seat belts. Older cars have older belts, may not have as much crash protection, air bags, etc.

We still want you to have harnesses if you want to run in Open Passing.
If you have cranked up the power or cornering abilities (e.g., competition tires, etc) we think you ought to have 5 point harnesses in Point-by.

Transponders are required if you want timing results.

Alfa and non-Alfa classification has not changed.

Any clearer?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Terry - the question about Treadwear rating remains unanswered. If our stock cars, from the factory, come with <200 Treadwear rubber, we ARE required to run 5-pt harnesses?

Some examples of stock factory setups on cars most likely purchased for track use:

The Mitsu Evo MR comes with Yoko A13C's that have a Treadwear rating of 180.

The Lotus Elise comes with Yoko AD07's that have a Treadwear rating of 180.

The Lotus Exige comes with Yoko A048's that have a Treadwear rating of 60 (!)

Porsche GT3RS' come with Pilot Sport Cups with Treadwear rating of 60 (!)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I checked the tech inspection sheet again

http://www.aroschpd.org/events/2011/jan2011_tech.pdf

Under the:

Notes and Comments
(DE & TT)

Driver Restraint
1. Cars manufactured from 2000 to the present, which have not been modified (see below), may run with the factory 3-point seat belts. Harnesses (see below), however, are highly recommended.
2. Cars manufactured prior to 2000 or cars that have been modified must have properly mounted harnesses (see below).
3. Belts/harnesses which appear old, warn or dirty are unacceptable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts