Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
We don't normally discuss track configuration prior to an event. However, I expect we will use "the whole track", run CW and not include the "bus stop". Now that I've said this, let me emphasize that any and all of this could change.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I hope AROSC does not run it CCW. I run the track that way a couple times a year and there are at least 2 accidents a weekend coming off the last corner onto the front straight. The last time AROSC ran it that way, 3 cars wiped out on that corner, 2 severely twisted to the point where they looked like bananas. Another thing I notice when running CCW is that there is a nice size dip at the end of the back straight right about where you start your braking and downshifting. This unsettles the car and quite often sends cars straight into the California desert at a little over 100 mph. CW is much safer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bruce,
As an outsider looking in, and as an ex-SCCA National Driver, I am confused as to why you dont send out track configuration prior to an event.
When I was active, we always got a complete track map with our entry forms so that we knew what to expect, and could set up the car, especially gear ratios, for that particular configuration.
This was especially important at Riverside, but would apply at just about any track I can imagine. (Except Holtville, which was hopeless!!!)

·
Registered
271 Posts
lawrencedesigns said:
Bruce,
As an outsider looking in, and as an ex-SCCA National Driver, I am confused as to why you dont send out track configuration prior to an event.
When I was active, we always got a complete track map with our entry forms so that we knew what to expect, and could set up the car, especially gear ratios, for that particular configuration.
This was especially important at Riverside, but would apply at just about any track I can imagine. (Except Holtville, which was hopeless!!!)

It is so Bruce can set up his car...just kidding....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Track Direction

And we do sometimes run both directions: even # cars CW and odd CCW.
Some fun for the drivers, a real hoot for the Instructors.

I think the flyer that was emailed the other day said CW. I can't find my copy I printed at work, and I haven't updated Acrobat at home to read the .pdf version tonight.

See you all there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Let’s see, where to start …

Paul’s concept of running even #’s CW and odds, CCW is good, and it works at all the tracks. But Buttonwillow is really special. It offers something that no other track on our schedule offers. It allows us to run a figure eight race on paved surfaces.

Seriously, I really don’t know why we don’t specify track configuration prior to an event but if several of our participants say it’s a big deal, we’ll certainly listen. The reason I said we would most likely run CW is for the reasons Anthony describes. The reason I said we would most likely run the whole track is that we have committed to renting the whole track. The reason I expect we won’t run the “bus stop” is that the TT drivers need a good place to pass. Running the “bus stop” eliminates the back straight which I doubt we’ll want to do. The final track configuration will be up to Greg Nelson, our Time Trial Director.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Page 1 of the registration form for Buttonwill - BIG RED LETTERS: Clockwise.
We usually run configuration 14
The additional reason for running the same configuration is for consistency in timing for AROSC track records.
On another note - Dirk has backed away from running against me again. :mad: Seems he's been invited to compete against some stumblebums in Europe :rolleyes:
Does anybody out there have an Alfa to bring that can compete in Class H?

·
Registered
913 Posts
super-racer said:
Bruce,
Any possibility of the race group running the bus stop since we are allowed to pass anywhere?

Fabrizio
It's very unlikely to happen because we'd have to keep shifting the corner workers around. I think that would be impractical due to both logistics and the lost time considerations.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
super-racer said:
Bruce,
Any possibility of the race group running the bus stop since we are allowed to pass anywhere?

Fabrizio
Fabrizio,

Having as much horsepower as you do, I'd want as many straights as I can get. Me (the under-powered Rimicci) should be the one asking this question!

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW, we ran #14 CW last year. Config #14 does not use the bus stop and it uses the "sweeper" corner instead of the Star Mazda turn. The "whole track" would probably be #25.

I don't care if we go blasting down the pit lane, I'll run it any which way you wanna set it up! :D

Pat

·
Registered
584 Posts
Clockwise vs Counterclockwise--in advance?

Regarding the issue of whether or not to announce track configuration in advance. I speak as Bruce Colby's predecessor as Competition Director, so there's some history Bruce is not familiar with.

The tradition of not announcing the direction in advance goes back way before Bruce's time, to when Charlie Thieriot was Competition Director. He didn't want people setting their car up for one configuration or the other, he thought it gave people with adjustable suspensions etc an unfair advantage, so he'd wait till the morning of the event to make the announcement. Not even his Time Trial Director John Cote would know.

All this only applies to tracks that are reconfigurable, which pretty well narrows it down to Buttonwillow for AROSC (although I believe we may someday run at Thunderhill which I believe is also reconfigurable).

At Buttonwillow it's pretty well established that CW is much safer than CCW so I doubt that AROSC will ever run CCW again there. And, we don't use the "bus stop" for reasons Bruce mentioned earlier. And, we want to keep a fixed configuration so that track records don't get too confusing. So you can pretty much count on CW, no bus stop, and the "sweeper" at the West Loop hairpin.

As for what the general policy of AROSC will be regarding announcing track formations in advance, Bruce should probably bring this up as an item at the AROSC Competition Board meeting late this year. Knowing what I know now, I think I would recommend making the announcement in advance and let people use the information any way they can.

Doug Bender
AROSC Competition Director Emeritus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts