Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! So I have been curious about this for a while and I've never seen it pop up in any recent discussions so I thought it might be an interesting conversation. Since the Busso we all know and love was in production for so long, is it unreasonable to believe that there may be "quality of life" upgrade potential for older cars? For example, are there any 164 parts that would bolt onto the Milano or GTV6 that would be an improvement over the original? And so on. Curious to see what you guys have seen/experienced.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
A 164 engine is a good upgrade for a 2.5 GTV6 or Milano. Also I had 164S wheels on a Milano and they looked good on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! That's what I have heard a lot of people say, but it's not quite the question I have. There is a 164 that I am familiar with that was recently listed for parts in my area and I'm wondering if there are any parts I should snag off of it for my Milano.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of putting a V6 Busso into a 105 for a while and have finally jumped into it. I get the impression that about the only parts that are swappable are the spark plugs and the oil and water.....

Many, many differences between the years.

A whole engine swap will require a significant change to the engine wiring harness, sensors and ECU.

A 24V might make the swap worthwhile......

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of putting a V6 Busso into a 105 for a while and have finally jumped into it.
I suggest that you look into using Megasquirt engine management. Improved performance is the obvious reason but getting rid of the obsolete Bosch parts is also attractive. Also air/vacuum leaks are no longer an issue since air flow is not measured, Megasquirt does not care how the air is getting into the plenum. Al Mitchell - Reale is the go to guy if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I'm going to start with the factory setup. If that doesn't work, I'll think about an alternative. I'm kinda getting the impression that the Megasquirt community is some pretty serious computer guys, which I'm not. The OMEX and Emerald systems look pretty good.

Doubtful I'll need more performance since it is a 24V going into a 66 Super. I probably shouldn't be doing this since I don't need another spectacular ticket, but I've wanted a V6 for about 35 years!

I really wanted a Milano, but I don't want to fool with the chassis electronics and the smog BS in CA.

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Larry Jr at APE makes the conversion pieces, exhaust, bellhousing, oil pan, for this conversion. I helped put one in a 71 Spider LeMons car.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I'm going to start with the factory setup. If that doesn't work, I'll think about an alternative. I'm kinda getting the impression that the Megasquirt community is some pretty serious computer guys, which I'm not. The OMEX and Emerald systems look pretty good.

Doubtful I'll need more performance since it is a 24V going into a 66 Super. I probably shouldn't be doing this since I don't need another spectacular ticket, but I've wanted a V6 for about 35 years!

I've got Larry's bellhousing and motor mounts. The headers are going to be costly as his patterns are for a 12v.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts