Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been making all sorts of items in fibreglass.
It has been brought to my attention that the Busso cam belt covers disintegrate as most
plastic items on our AR's.

Just replicated a batch of Montreal battery covers in fibreglass, check it out on the Montreal forum,
that came out very well at a reasonable price.

My thought, if enough demand, is to replicate the distribution covers for Busso engines. Ignore if variants are there.

Will really appreciate your thoughts.

Regards, Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Could they be 3D printed?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They will survive quite well, better than plastic. Inboard boat engines are surrounded by fiberglass, not frightfully hot
in the engine bay, but still hot. We made Spica covers for the Montreal and no problem, GTA airboxes, no problem,
102 airboxes no problem. My guess? No problem, as 3 layer glass is plenty sturdy.

3D printing, too flimsy, and potentially very time consuming due to the thickness expected? and not the right look
(I think) and possibly just as bad as the original...,
Please take one to your local 3D guy, and please let us all know the cost.
For one, I would be very curious.

In order for us to be manufacture these covers, we require a minimum of 15 - 20 orders, as not cost effective
to produce less.

Regards, Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric,
My products are all top notch, you can verify with various Montreal battery covers owners.

Just to give you an idea, the Montreal boxes were $285 + all the time I put into it, that did not
mean any extra income at all. Not a way to retire to anywhere 'exotic' :)

Besides, there has been no interest at all in the belt covers, as you may appreciate,
besides you and potentially, archeologist.
So, no idea until, first I procure a set of covers here in El Salvador, or from the USA
(perfect ones, as no sense trying to duplicate a broken, worn out one),
pull a mould, then make one, then we can figure out cost.

Bottom line, is this a part on its way to extinction, and can you all live without it?

It all rests on the various members.

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked the same question awhile back on a different Alfa site got no interest. But I think there is a market for good repros. I have a set not installed and one side is ready to crumble, the plastic having deteriorated. I also thought about making a mold and casting new ones in a better auto pastic - but haven't had the time to pursue. Would gladly pay instead if good repros were available. I think the GTV6 coolant expansion tank is another hard to find item - add that to your list too!

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted the offer to reproduce them, but no takers!

My repros are excellent, and...it takes a long time to make them as good,
I would not recommend undertaking this project unless you do this full time.

Besides, I would need a perfect set to pull a mould.

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
10 Posts
I posted the offer to reproduce them, but no takers!

My repros are excellent, and...it takes a long time to make them as good,
I would not recommend undertaking this project unless you do this full time.

Besides, I would need a perfect set to pull a mould.

Regards, Alberto
I've got a pretty good set - could PM some photos if you like. Perfect may be unobtainable unless someone has a NOS set tucked away somewhere. But I agree, a complex mould is necessary to reproduce these adequately - not an easy feat.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! I would really appreciate some photos, as I do not wish to embark in an over the top project.

alberto.guirola at gmail.com

Regards, and thank you.
Alberto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts