Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Busso Distribution / Cam covers, need one? They are Available!

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  aguirola 
#1 ·
I have been making all sorts of items in fibreglass.
It has been brought to my attention that the Busso cam belt covers disintegrate as most
plastic items on our AR's.

Just replicated a batch of Montreal battery covers in fibreglass, check it out on the Montreal forum,
that came out very well at a reasonable price.

My thought, if enough demand, is to replicate the distribution covers for Busso engines. Ignore if variants are there.

Will really appreciate your thoughts.

Regards, Alberto

#4 ·
They will survive quite well, better than plastic. Inboard boat engines are surrounded by fiberglass, not frightfully hot
in the engine bay, but still hot. We made Spica covers for the Montreal and no problem, GTA airboxes, no problem,
102 airboxes no problem. My guess? No problem, as 3 layer glass is plenty sturdy.

3D printing, too flimsy, and potentially very time consuming due to the thickness expected? and not the right look
(I think) and possibly just as bad as the original...,
Please take one to your local 3D guy, and please let us all know the cost.
For one, I would be very curious.

In order for us to be manufacture these covers, we require a minimum of 15 - 20 orders, as not cost effective
to produce less.

Regards, Alberto

#6 ·
Eric,
My products are all top notch, you can verify with various Montreal battery covers owners.

Just to give you an idea, the Montreal boxes were $285 + all the time I put into it, that did not
mean any extra income at all. Not a way to retire to anywhere 'exotic' :)

Besides, there has been no interest at all in the belt covers, as you may appreciate,
besides you and potentially, archeologist.
So, no idea until, first I procure a set of covers here in El Salvador, or from the USA
(perfect ones, as no sense trying to duplicate a broken, worn out one),
pull a mould, then make one, then we can figure out cost.

Bottom line, is this a part on its way to extinction, and can you all live without it?

It all rests on the various members.

Regards, Alberto

#17 ·
Eric,
My products are all top notch, you can verify with various Montreal battery covers owners.

Just to give you an idea, the Montreal boxes were $285 + all the time I put into it, that did not
mean any extra income at all. Not a way to retire to anywhere 'exotic' :)

Besides, there has been no interest at all in the belt covers, as you may appreciate,
besides you and potentially, archeologist.
So, no idea until, first I procure a set of covers here in El Salvador, or from the USA
(perfect ones, as no sense trying to duplicate a broken, worn out one),
pull a mould, then make one, then we can figure out cost.

Bottom line, is this a part on its way to extinction, and can you all live without it?

It all rests on the various members.

Regards, Alberto
I’ll buy a set of covers!

#8 ·
I asked the same question awhile back on a different Alfa site got no interest. But I think there is a market for good repros. I have a set not installed and one side is ready to crumble, the plastic having deteriorated. I also thought about making a mold and casting new ones in a better auto pastic - but haven't had the time to pursue. Would gladly pay instead if good repros were available. I think the GTV6 coolant expansion tank is another hard to find item - add that to your list too!

#9 ·
I posted the offer to reproduce them, but no takers!

My repros are excellent, and...it takes a long time to make them as good,
I would not recommend undertaking this project unless you do this full time.

Besides, I would need a perfect set to pull a mould.

Regards, Alberto

#12 ·
For sure cam belts can't stay without covers.... Got mine about 4 years ago NOS, and are still in good condition, but I have the impression that due to heat and vibrations these covers can't stay for ever... So, my opinion is that sooner or later we will all need a replacement set....
Pavlos Pavlides, Nicosia, Cyprus

#13 ·
Pavlos you have a very good and 'realistic' outlook, as well as my friend that lent me the originals to proceed with.

His comment was: "there are tons of of cars out there without covers, and that is suicide".
Just one pebble...

I will not start with this project unless serious commitments, i.e. Deposits as we did with the Montreal Battery box, will start voicing. The minimum would be 10 sets, as this is a complicated mould making process, and production of the covers, is very intense.

If I were in a similar situation, I would have new covers. Engines are too expensive!
I would be more than happy to start.

Regards, Alberto

#16 ·
We are still in the developmental stages, and understanding what our time involment
in the project will amount to. As soon as we make the first set , we'll know more.
At that point, will post price.
Thank you for you interest.
Regards, Alberto

#19 ·
Alberto
If you need I believe my Milano 3.0 has great covers and also my Gtv6. Let me know and I will confirm quality.

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
The covers are available:

Regards, Alberto

#24 ·
Alberto,

If you’re feeling motivated, I think there is likely to be a good market for the belt covers for the 2.0 “Twin Spark”. this engine was never imported to the US, but enjoyed substantial sales in Europe and other countries. While it is Fiat based, the black, rubbery plastic is all too familiar in its limited lifetime.

There is at least one salvage yard where I’ve been able to buy them, but the last one was so fragile it arrived in a half-dozen pieces.

There are four pieces per engine. Two of the four have threaded brass inserts to accept mounting screws for the outer cover.

Different than our first project, I’d estimate many thousands of these cars are driving around with their cam belt covers held in place by half or less than their original bolt-count.

Furthermore, the accumulated wisdom is that the cam belt should be replaced every three years or 36,000 miles, so the removal and replacement of the covers is fairly active.

You’d probably sell more of the two outer pieces than the inner, but both pairs suffer from the Alfa-plastic syndrome.

#25 ·
Well Don, you know 'we are game' for any potential project. I would not know even where to start
as I have no idea of the TS (FIAT) engine.
Please let me know. I am in California if you would like to talk on the phone.

Kind regards, Alberto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.