Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to source the bushings of the fork operating the clutch release bearing?

Thanks,
Jerone

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
The brass ones? I just make them. Not hard if you know what you are doing. My last set went in a clutch owned by Jon Burningham, a BB member. Check with him to see if I did Ok. Often the bolt headed pins that run through these are NOT round. Good idea to either replace those pins, or make them round and fit oversize bushings. I also re-bush the T.O. bearing iron cradle and can rebuild some of the old style T.O. bearings if not too loose. I have forgotten what this work costs. Jon might remember. He also might have photo's of the completed work.

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
I found some pictures of Jon's project. The pictures are self explanatory. The sleeved T.O. bearing cradle requires a close look. The T.O. has been updated to a GTA T.O. with a "Celron" ring in place of the carbon ring for Jon's seriously reworked 1750 Veloce engine in a 750 Spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gordon,
Yes, I mean the brass ones. The pins are worn as well resulting in a lot of play.
My set up looks slightly different though. Instead of bolts pins (11 mm diameter) are used without any threat. They are kept in place by locking pins.
I was just wondering if replacements are available saving me the hassle of making my own.

Regards, Jerone

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
I have not seen replacements anywhere, though you might try Christian Ondrak, OK Parts and Engineering in Germany. He may know a source. Other than that, your best bet is to machine up your own. Mine in front of me at my shop both use the pins as well. These are available as hardened gauge pins from several machinist supply houses in any metric diameter you could wish. Hardened all the way through, they do not wear, but the brass bushings still will wear. A moly cam lube helps somewhat here, and should last the service life of the T.O. by which time the bushings will need replacement again.
I annealed my brass sheet soft, not dead soft cheery red, but just turning blue, as brass hardens with working. By the time it was rolled to shape, and pressed in place and finish reamed, it was hardening up enough to provide a good service life.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Gordon does excellent work....and for a fair price. If anybody following behind needs this job (of lots of other jobs), he is the right person to have it done. He fusses about little details so that they work as good or better than when they were brand new.

Give him a shout. Ask for his part-fixing alter ego, Guido!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
Guido canna fix her good!

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I will have to look tomorrow, but I am sure that I have a set of the pins ( pivots) and bushings . NOS. And is there a CO. chapter of the confused and incorrect? And the not so stock Alfa's?

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
There you go! Karen to the rescue! You must have had those since the Prototype Eng. days or earlier! Amazing! If Jerone doesn't want them you know I'll take them, Karen.
Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent Karen, I'm interested please send me a PM with details.
Do the pins measure 11 mm in diameter?

Thanks,
Jerone

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
Karen, If Jerone doesn't grab them, just send them to me with a bill. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Karen,
Perfect, that is exactely what I need. Could express ship them to the Netherlands? When not I could give you our US address in MO.
Do you have a Paypal account to transfer the funds?
Thanks, Jerone

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just transferred the funds to your Paypal account including US shipping address.
Thanks again.

All the best,
Jerone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts