Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove it? It's right at the top, between the woodruff key and the spring. Tried pullers, but it's too thin to pull on. Tried heat, but no help.
Appreciate any help on this.
Bob

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Have you tried a square ended close fitting broom handle inserted into the tube from the steering box end and tapped firmly to dislodge the race. Why do you need to remove it?

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Its a tab washer with the tab fitting in the keyway and one side bunged up to the flat side of the nut holding the steering wheel on the shaft. It won't let the nut spin off... as if it might. It's hair thin and should peel off once you get a blade under it. It's not some kind of bushing as you describe...

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
Useful information Uncle. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually........

What I'm trying to do is to remove the shaft from the column, so I can clean it up and lube bearings. There is a scuffing sound in the shaft when rotated. I have the box all disassembled, but it looks like the shaft should come out from the bottom, and is held by the collar on the bushing at the top. I'll try to post photos of the part if my description isn't good enough. The part number is 1365.455.429.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Sorry I misundestood the complexity of the problem and over simplfied it. I can't help out. That's uncharted territory for Uncle. My guess is "the monkeys" started with an empty tube. They then inserted the shaft in from the bottom and then tapped in or pressed in the bushing last to center the shaft, To remove the bushing you probably need to drive the shaft down past the bushing and then take a long pipe that will slide back in the tube from the bottom and gently slide hammer the bushing out the top. I think your sequences are out of synch is all.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I misunderstood too. Replace the nut on the column and carefully tap it, with a copper hammer, out through the box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steering shaft

Hi guys
I am batteling with the same problem as sagebrushbob. It is on a ZF box for a 101 Spider. The "bush" (also called a bush in the parts manual) he is refering to is sitting outside the tube very close to the steering wheel just below the key. It is very thin with a small lip and sits very tite to the shaft. I tried to knock the shaft towards the box but it wont go easily and therefor I did not proceed. It could also be that the steeringbox bearing cup on the tube side will come out with the shaft when knocked. I also see that about 40mm (1.5 inch) from the top of the tube there is a groove pressed into and right around the tube. I think this could be holding the bush inside the tube where the shaft turns in. Regards South

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday, someone who has done many steering boxes, told me that it should come off. Just use heat and penetrating oil. I'll give it a try, and report back.

·
Administrator
4,188 Posts
Hi Guys

I dug out two steering columns and took some pictures of the bits, as soon as I get a chance to re-size and crop them I'll post them for you.

South - I'll bring my spare box down to Cape Town in early October for you & John to check out & we can strip his box & rebuild it while I'm there.

Ciao
Greig

9 Giulietta's at present - they're breeding faster than bunnies.....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, i got it off! I have no idea why it was so difficult. There was not much rust on the inside. A soft mallet drove the shaft out. By the way, the little ball bearings at the top are REALLY little!
Thanks, all.
Bob

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
No Bob, I know YOU are not saying YOU have lots of little balls! I've gotten to know you better than that!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How can one develop a reputation in a virtual world, populated by people one has never met?

.....and have it be so accurate!

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
We are ALL the same Bob. Almost, all the same virtual person!

·
Administrator
4,188 Posts
Just remember that you are unique................just like everyone else !!

Ciao
Greig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts