Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent onset acrid "burnt rubber" odor when I rev my 89 Milano 2.5 > 4,500 RPM; whether car is sitting still or on the highway... Not coming from clutch and don't think it's the guibo/donut underneath (there's no driveline vibration and no change in driveability or power)...

As quickly as the odor comes on (3 seconds or so) it dissipates...

Raising the hood and revving, it looks like there's some mild dark smoke coming from the left side, top part of engine near one of the intake runners, but only noticeable when I rev it, so no smoke or odor at lower RPMs...

I had a loose power steering belt that squealed like a greased pig until it was tightened... I thought it might have been that, but there's no smoke coming from the belts (or from near the cam belt, thankfully)

The smell is very specific for rubber (not plastic)... Any thoughts on the source of the odor?

-Dave

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
I would inspect the giubos, especially the front one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guibo looks okay, no evidence of smoke or burnt odor, or vibration...

Had another thought... I could have been inadvertently hitting the rev limiter (even though the tach only indicates 4500 or so, it has been underestimating engine speed); still, why the burnt rubber smell?

Can't recall what redline is on a 2.5l milano motor

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
My gold had that smell too then it went away. Then a while later the front one blew apart.
I did inspect it very close when I smelled that smell. And did not see any cracks at that time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On closer, expert inspection (thanks, Jim!), seems the front guibo has it's fair share of cracks. Will likely rebuild entire driveshaft when we do the exhaust.
Thanks to everybody for their input.
Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
Pay close attention to that rear motor mount while you're in there as that is often the root of the front guibo failure.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pay close attention to that rear motor mount while you're in there as that is often the root of the front guibo failure.
Hmm. I've noticed some makeshift replacements mentioned on here... Is it still unobtainium?

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
I bought a new tail mount and installed it in a Milano about a year ago. Check the usual suppliers. My old one was hard to get out but the new one went in easily.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,368 Posts
Hmm. I've noticed some makeshift replacements mentioned on here... Is it still unobtainium?
No, they are available now. A couple of years ago they were out of production but that situation has been resolved and we have them on the shelf for Milano/GTV6 (and Alfetta too!).

·
Registered
431 Posts
makeshift mounts

...during that time (when the were unavailable) i bought a kit and casted my own in polyurethane. It was very easy, and i just re-used the steel sleeve from the old disintegrated bushing, i sanded its diameter down for the final fitment (which needs to be TIGHT.)

seems its been working great for 4 years now. I do realize tho that using polyurethane for engine mountings is not great, as it wears fast and gets soft with heat, but i doubt the tail mounts gets hot enough.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
..."burning rubber smell at high revs..." in what gear...!? :D My cars all make that same smell at high revs (typically in 1st and 2nd gear!) :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts