Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Fellow Alfisti,

On the Burman recirculating ball steering box, as on my '69 1750 GTV, is steering lash adjusted by adding or subtracting shims under the small cover plate atop the box? I have some small play which does not really affect steering, but is transmitted up the column as a clicking sound. Low oil in the box makes the sound quite loud. A rebuild is the obvious answer, but I would like to forestall this until other issues are resolved. I have heard that one can stop the leaking of old steering boxes by filling them with grease. Any experience in this? Does it work for both worm and gear and recirculating ball steering boxes?

Barry Frantz

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Barry,
Just to be sure, check all your steering ends. I thought I had an issue with my car, but it just turned out to be all the tie rod ends dying on me. The steering was really sloppy by the time I replaced them all. Its much better now.

Did you get your brake issue fixed?

See ya,
Will

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Burman issue

Yo Fellow Alfisti,

I have some small play which does not really affect steering, but is transmitted up the column as a clicking sound. Low oil in the box makes the sound quite loud. A rebuild is the obvious answer, but I would like to forestall this until other issues are resolved.
Barry Frantz
The box in my 73 spider also has a clicking from the column when the steering wheel position is near center, but no excess play apparent. Tie rods, ball joints and adjustable control arms were renewed and a bent castor control was straighted and Burman examined for any obvious problems when aligned, but none of these things made a difference for me. It is merely annoying.

I found info in this link, but have not yet determined exactly what is causing my clicking issue and will be interested to hear what you find out. AlfaCentro: Technical Correspondence

I'm thinking a crack where its quite hard to see.

Richard

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Will. The rod ends have been replaced and seem sound. I have no excessive steering play, just this little click-click coming from the box when when not moving, just swinging the wheel back and forth. I added oil to the box and it quieted down, but I think there could be some adjustment by adding or removing shims, as there I using the screw on ZF boxes. Repair manual calls for shimming when rebuilding on the bench, I'm not sure if this would be effective in the car.

Later, Barry

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Richard. The Alfa Centro link gave good advice on several things I have on my mind. I'll let you know if I cure the click.

Barry

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello,
I own 3 105 (1 GT, 2 super) with Burmann steering box.

All of them are producing the same clicking noise around the center position for 10 years now.
No other issue so far and the cars are feeling superb on the road.

I know that it won't cure your problem but at least it proves it is not a major concern. Just annoying, on a mechanical point of view.

regards
Sébastien

1 - 7 of 7 Posts