Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I needed to sort out a rust issue near to the steering box and as I could see it has been leaking badly, decided to remove it completely and give it an overhaul.
Following the excellent threads on this site I removed it and stripped it all down. After purchasing new ball bearings (9/32) I replaced these packing them out with grease. I have replaced the bottom seal too and put it all together. When putting on just the top cover it turns from left to right beautifully, feels and sounds really nice. When I bolt down the small cover it seems to push the spring down quite a way. This then results in a NOT smooth operation. When turning from end to end, It sounds like it is catching, grinding and is much stiffer. Under the small cover I put back the 4 shims that were there. Maybe the clearance has now changed since fitting new ball bearings?
Am I doing something wrong? I remember reading something about a weight and a gauge for the small cover bit but didn't understand. Do I simply need to add thicker shims?
I have attached a photo with the small cover off.

Thanks in advance
Phil

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Did you check the end of the steering shaft where it rides on the ball bearings?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy response. Yes this seems all ok. I’m sure it’s a small cover issue 🤔 I only have issues When I volt that down

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
It should be significantly stiffer with the spring installed but it shouldn't grind. My guess is you need more clearance and thus more shims.

See my post #327 in the thread below. You can get close for the initial shim measurement using a plunge micrometer (the clearance spec is between the top of the turning vertical arm and the football-shaped cover). You want to assemble the cover first with the shims & no spring and with the pitman arm clamped in a vise. You should be able to feel any play in the mechanism when you do this. Add shims until you can feel the play, then remove shims a little at a time until the play is just gone.

The factory method with the weight is shown a few posts down from that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts