Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All lubricated equipment have a proper oil level ..... not too little, not too much.

Does anybody have the correct level below the inspection hole for the Burman steering box?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I just fill it up until it overflows
Carl, everything else that has a measured volume is based on the provision to drain the oil/coolant ( motor/gearbox/diff/cooling system). Since there is no provision to drain it, how would you know how much to put in except by eye and with out a dipstick? The book says "top it off". That pretty much says it all. I've seen grease pumped into leakers but that's not my idea of fixing a leak. For one thing, grease doesn't flow so you would get a false sense of filling it as it balls up on the mechanism and there is no way i know of to "pump" it in and doesn't find the bottom.. Ask me how I know.. not me a PO. My GT has a leak and it had grease that was a band-aid and it disappeared after some driving. I tried Lucas Power steering stop leak which worked on my Guilietta 15 years ago and it fixed that in like days but not this one....The Lucas people told me their Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak would work so I just added that yesterday and am waiting for results. According to the bottle you only have to put in as little as 10% of the volume to let it work it's the magic. We shall see. Their tech guy on the phone was very helpful and sure it would work. If it works I'll add 1/2 a bottle to my Super to stop my rear main from marking its territory. It's not cheap ( $13 for a qt bottle with nice snip spout) and I think they have a good reputation. It pours like a 90 wt.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
.. another interesting design feature of the box is the fact the down-comer on the headers is crowding that business end of the steering box, at least on my GT, i haven't looked at the Super which is not leaking... I don't think that was such a good idea...... I guess a recall would be out of the question.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use Penrite's Steering Box Lube, see image below. I believe this product has been mentioned in other threads on this forum.

I started using Penrite in Jaguar cars equipped with Burman steering boxes sometime in the '70's. It is carried in the U.S. by Moss Motors and other parts vendors selling to the British car market.

While the Penrite lube still leaks out from the lower seal on the GTVs, it does so at a much slower rate than straight 90 wt. Also, with the Penrite the ball bearing and bushings are coated with lubricant even when the level of lubricant has dropped below the level of the bearings.

I plan on seeing how the Lucas Engine Stop Leak mixes with the Penrite then if appear compatible then I too will try it in a really leaky GTV steering box.

bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
why not just replace the lower seal and fix the leak? It took me about 2 hours from start to finish to do that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I too replace the lower seal.

For me the seals fail at a rate of about one every 25,000 miles.

New seal, no leak, but a small seeping of oil past the seal begins after about 14,000 miles. The rate of seepage increases as the mileage increases.

I agree with divotandtralee that it does seem a bit optimistic on Alfa's part to think that a butyl o-ring when subjected to the heat from the downpipe hours on end will remain pliable and oil tight. I've been using Viton o-rings; they are the ones that get me to 25,000.

Bob

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I installed the Lucas Oil Wed night and drove it about 5 miles and re-checked it today. The arm had a very little coating on top and the castellated nut had almost none on it so we are showing progress in just 2 days. Previously it would leave a nickel/quarter sized spot on the floor. I would say at least 50% improvement by my calculation.. I expect continued improvement until it is totally dry and accept nothing less. I like our chances. Certainly no longer than a week. I'll check again after a 180 mile round trip tomorrow to the AROC convention in Rhode Island ( the smallest state of the 50.. and for you geography buffs from across the sea..not really remotely an island but plenty of coast.. better known for the Newport Jazz Festival and occasional site of the Sailing World Cup)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Does anybody have the correct level below the inspection hole for the Burman steering box?
That's a good question; while not identical to the type 105 Burman steering box in a Montreal, I suspect they all have similar characteristics and weaknesses. The steering box in the Montreal is "full" when the level is 20 mm below the fill hole and due to its closeness to the exhaust and engine heat, the oil is subject to expand when heated, so a vented rubber cap needs to be used or a notch needs to be cut in the cap. Otherwise the heat causes the oil to expand; the rubber plug seals up the steering box, as pressure builds it pushes oil out past the bottom seal.
Mark
The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Divot my take here is -- measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk and then cut it with an axe!!!

I hear ya brudda!!!

·
Premium Member
5,920 Posts
The cost of a new burman box case alone is about twice the cost of a good used 2L motor yet they are rarely tended to until they break. And when they break it tends to be far more catastrophic then a motor.

I would never put grease in a steering box. A leaking box is not exclusively due to a worn seal. It could just as easily be a crack waiting to explode. Use 90 weight gear oil and be safe...

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Seems to me a lot of folks on the BB recommend it...
I suggest you take it up with those folks on the threads that subscribe to that recommendation. No one on this thread has endorsed it... least of all me who said a PO from a far away country left traces of the crap in mine. i think you are in the right church..wrong pew.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Burman Steering boxes on RHD cars don't have the leakage problem of LHD cars. Probably because having the steering box on the other side, does not subject it to the heat of the exhaust headers. My Giulia Super has done 148 thousand km, and no oil leaks. I tried to top up the box recently with EP 90 gear oil, hardly any oil was needed/

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.