Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I messed up the bottom seal on my Burman Steering box. I removed an O ring seal and metal retainer. The new seal ordered from Centerline is larger, 40mm, and doesn't fit. I started to try and remove what looks like a metal insert and what I thought was the remainder of the old seal. After chipping it a bit I realized it was not coming out.
Should I continue to try and remove the metal rim to get the 40mm seal in or try to find a new O ring and hope I didn't ruin the rim?
Any suggestions and any suggestions on where to find a new O ring?
Attached photo of the bottom with the O ring out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
The seal you bought is for a later (believe post 1970) steering box. You need the proper o-ring: see the 'Burman steering box rebuild' thread for sources.
So you are saying that the main casting was machined differently for the pre '71 and post '70 boxes? Meaning that a simple lip seal can't be installed in an early casting?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It sure seems so; this thread shows more details while this post leaves no doubts. Not sure on the changeover point, though. All I can say is that the various post 1970 boxes I have taken apart had the seal.

O-ring is 28 x 4 while seal is 40 x 28 x 7. Strange how some dimensions on these boxes are metric while some are imperial. These Burman boxes have provided me with the only 8.8 grade UNC bolts I have ever seen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The steering box in question is in a 1971 spider Euro model.

I will be trying to get a new O ring back in and attempt to reinstall the flat washer cover. If this doesn't work I will need to remove the steering box and have the oil seal seat machined to accept the 40mm oil seal.
This started out as a simple project to fix only a slight leak in the steering box seal....now it is mushrooming into a semi major project.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Your Steering Box Uses The "early" Burman O-ring & Metal Flat Washer (the same as in my 1970 JrZ), The O-Ring Is Held In Place By The Metal Washer, The Washer Is Lightly Press Fit Into The Box, It Looks like You Have Damaged The Area Where The Washer Presses In (and that will have to be repaired), I Got A New O-Ring & Washer (I damaged the washer when removing it) Not To Long Ago From Larry At APE In California.

-John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts