Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took apart my Burman box this past weekend. There were 7 oval shims and 4 square ones and only 45 balls somehow. Hard to say if the box has ever been taken apart. The case looks ok - The biggest issue is upper worm gear bearing is very worn. Has anyone had this successfully machined to be smooth again?
Wood Tool Bumper Gas Musical instrument

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Click here for info (start at 10:50 mark):

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,841 Posts
Click here for info (start at 10:50 mark): MEDIA=youtube]ZehYGsBsDCI[/MEDIA]
Yes, but the shaft in the video just had corrosion/pitting at the lower bearing face. Cutting that area, and adding more shims, would certainly work.

NC_Alfa's shaft also has pitting at the upper bearing surface (which I guess can be machined out, as in the YouTube video). But, am I also seeing damage in the "threads"? Wouldn't machining out of threads result in widening them, which would result in play?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some better pictures after I cleaned up the worm gear a bit more. I think the previous pictures did make it look like there was wear on the inner bearing track.

if I can find someone to grind the upper bearing surface -it seems to me that removing shims would account removed material. The worm gear itself would shift upwards that same dimension. Does that cause a problem that I am not thinking about?

Product Material property Cylinder Auto part Household hardware

Tire Hand Arm Automotive tire Wheel

Household hardware Tool Office supplies Font Auto part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts